Confusing or Incorrect Question regarding WLAN?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by p1xels, Jul 9, 2013.

1. p1xels

p1xels Bit Poster

Hi
    I got this question from one of my friends in my CCNA class but he told me different answers than I had thought.
    Please tell me what can be the possible ans to the following intriguing question-
    wlan.JPG
    I also feel the question might be wrong.Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

802.11 divides the 2.4 GHz into 14 channels.
    802.11b is intended to compensate for the half-duplex nature of wireless communications.

Are the true answers

3. p1xels

p1xels Bit Poster

Hi ade1982,
    Can you plz tell me the source of that information? I have doubt regarding the answers . I read the Wendell Odom guide book but nowhere is these info mentioned! On the contrary,the book seems to say that wireless comm is always half-duplex comm!

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Actually now thinking about it, I believe all the 802.11 protocols are half-duplex. I am no expert in networking though.

Looking through them, 802.11b supports 11Mb/s, so it isn't that.

802.11 is definitely split into 14 channels.

Depending when the question was written the "g" standard might not have been adopted yet. But it is obviously very common now, and inexpensive to implement.

"n" is also present, so that's where answer a falls down, but again it depends on the age of the question.

p1xels likes this.
  5. p1xels

p1xels Bit Poster

Hi ade,
    No where I found in the Odom Cisco press book that 802.11 divides the 2.4 GHz into 14 channels. The book doesn't say anything about the no. of channels supported by 802.11 . It doesn't say 802.11 divides the 2.4 Ghz into how many channels!
    Further the WLAN supports half duplex and not FDX comm.

6. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

p1xels likes this.
  7. p1xels

p1xels Bit Poster

Hi
    But does it say anything about HDX comm?
    I really dont understand what does "compensating half-duplex nature" here means?
    Does it means that unlike the other standards only 802.11b supports Full Duplex communication?

8. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I believe all of the 802.11 variations are Half-Duplex.

A quick google has told me that:

"802.11 anything is half duplex in practice. Only one station can speak at a time because of the CSMA/CD algorithm. It's the only way to ensure that there is no "collision" between 2 transmitting stations on a single channel."

9. p1xels

p1xels Bit Poster

Then why you said that D is an answer option? D implies 802.11b is a Half-Duplex communication. THAT IMPLIES THE QUESTION IS WRONG OR THE ANSWER OPTIONS ARE WRONG?am i correct?