Confused!!

Discussion in 'A+' started by Rizzles, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Rizzles

Rizzles New Member

Hi guys just a quick question..

I passed my A+ 220-601 last year and am a bit confused as to what one i need to do next, they all seem to be 220-701 or 702.. Is the 601 one i done an old one or something??

Any help would be great!!

Cheers

Ryan

2. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Unfortunately the 600 series is now retired my friend, so you would need to do the 701 and 702 to become A+ certified.

Good luck with your studies!

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  3. Rizzles

Rizzles New Member

Oh what a pain and a waste of money!! Thanks for your reply

4. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

It gets worse im afraid, as of this year the A+, Network+ and Security+ are no longer life time certs, they are valid for 3 years when you can do a couple of things to re-certify

It's still worth doing mind, both the A+ and N+ are still reckoned to be the best starting certs

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Rizzles

Rizzles New Member

Oh great!! I know how to do everything as it is without even having to do the exams, to have to do them every 3 years seems a bit wasteful.. Although i suppose once in a job they will soon be redundant anyway.

6. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Keep in mind it is kinda standard practice now, a lot of the Microsoft certs are only valid for a specific term.

But I think you're right in the sense you'd do the entry level certs to get an entry level job, once you advance and have certs that prove you have knowledge beyond the requirements of the lower level ones, it's up for argument if it's worth re-certifying in that situation.

7. Rizzles

Rizzles New Member

Right well im booked up for 701 on 1st of Feb and 702 on 1st March... Least i can get them out of the way quickly!!

Anyone who's done 702 could you give me a little low down on what it involves, i've had a little look and it seems fairly similar!

8. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

It Is! lol

I think originally the idea was that #01 was theroy based and #02 was questions on a given scenario.
    But to be honest a lot of the questions in the 700 series could be considered in the wrong exam.

I did both 701 and 702 in the same day and I found it hard to tell the difference in all honesty.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  9. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

The 702 is 'Practical Application' and asks many scenario based questions so if you have some hands on experience you may find this easier than the 701.

Personally I found the 702 much easier, but that may just be me.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)