Confused!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by spschugh, Dec 3, 2008.

1. spschugh

spschugh New Member

Hi,
    I am new to the forum so thought I'd write a post, not sure if this is the right thread but have to start somewhere! I am considering a change of career into IT and am looking for some advice really. Is it best to get experience first or do a qualification, or can you do both at once? What is the best qualifcation to do first? Is it MCSE? What is the best and cheapest way to do it? If anyone can answer any of these questions or give any other useful advice or were in the same postion as me a year or 2 ago it would be great to here from you.

Cheers.

2. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Hi,

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago. Fortunately, I'd already got a part time voluntary position in a computer repair shop due to my decent knowledge of hardware and repairs. I think that this is the best way in, because whatever job that you apply for on the strength of just a cert in some aspect of IT, you're going to get turned away because of the lack of experience. And if you do manage to land a job, realistically, you'll have no idea what you're doing. What I'd suggest is picking up some books on the A+ certification, and follow some of the guidance on this forum to work towards getting your A+. Once you've got it, you can go looking for jobs in computer repair, perhaps voluntary to begin with, until you accrue some experience. Once you feel comfortable enough, then you can start working towards the specific job want via the relevant certs.

I hope that you find some use in this response. Feel free to drop me a message if you'd like any more advice or have questions on the above.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

For some interesting reason, people seem to think that Microsoft certifications are the only certifications in existence...well, Cisco and CompTIA figure in there, too. I did a quick google and found this list of certs. Not everyone should become a MCSE (even if they can). It may not match your skill sets and your interests. Have a look for yourself and ask yourself, what do I really want to do in IT? After all, there's so much to choose from:

http://www.mcmcse.com/othercerts.shtml

Certifications: A+ and Network+