Confused!!! (VS 2003 or VS 2005)

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Atari, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Atari

Atari Bit Poster

I'm looking at taking my MCAD (and then MCSD), taking the following exam route:

MCAD

70-315 - dev/imp web apps c#
    70-320 - dev xml web serv c#
    70-316 - dev/imp win apps c#

And then...

MCSD

70-300 - Analyzing .NET requirements
    70-299 - Des/imp databases

I'm a little worried/confused; there seems to be different exams/software for .net 2003 and 2005 (.net framework v1 and v2 etc).

I know nothing about 2003 or 2005 or the difference between .NET framework V1 or V2, I just need something future proof that will get me a job in a couple of years!

Could anyone here please advise which software to buy (VS 2005 .net? ...standard/pro?) and also which books(or learning software) I should buy before taking an exam(UK).

Many thanks

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you're going for the MCSD/MCAD then you want Visual Studio 2003, this version uses .net 1.1. However if you want to go for the updated version, then you want the MCTS/MCPD, get Visual Studio 2005 as this uses .Net 2.

However I would like to state that MS certs/quals are professional qualifications (& should reflect your job role - more or less) and not learning/academic course. As you have already stated

"I know nothing about 2003 or 2005 or the difference between .NET framework V1 or V2"

The first thing that you should do, maybe, is to enroll on a programming course at your local college to get to grips with Visual Studio 2003/2005 before you attempt any professional certs.

One thing that I will also say is about "future proofing", professional certs (especially the new MS ones) like skills, need to be updated every so often. If you want a cert/qualfication that is what is classed as future-proof, you may want to look at degree's or diploma's, as they don't expire.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Atari

Atari Bit Poster

Thanks for the quick reply Wagnerk. The main reason that I am taking the cert is to gain qualification for entry in to Australia. Obviously I will be using the qualification, so your advice is still valid, but for some strange reason, Australia only recognise MCSE and MCSD at the moment :rolleyes:

Not sure what to do now. The last thing I need is to go through the effort of a MCSD only to find out it's no longer valid in 2 years and they only accept MCTS/MCPD :cry:

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Atari,

You can earn the MCSD then upgrade to the MCPD later.

The webpage for "MCPD: Web Developer" states...
    The webpage for "MCPD: Windows Developer" states...
    The webpage for "MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications" states...
    However, as wagnerk has mentioned, the "MCSD for Microsoft .NET Certification Requirements" states "An MCSD for Microsoft .NET candidate should have two years of experience developing and maintaining solutions and applications." (bold emphasis mine).

I hope this helps.

Source:
    1. MCSD for Microsoft .NET Certification Requirements - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/requirementsdotnet.mspx
    2. Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD) - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/default.mspx
    3. MCPD: Web Developer - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/webdev/default.mspx
    4. MCPD: Windows Developer - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/windev/default.mspx
    5. MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/entapp/default.mspx

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What they said.

Just a note though from your first post - SQL is 229. 299 is something to do with security I believe...

The two products are broadly similar in many ways (2003/2005) although I found the exams for 2005 harder, if that's any help!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Atari

Atari Bit Poster

Thanks for your input both, it's appreciated :)

I have around 8 years in total, just not in a Microsoft language. I take it this counts?

Edit - Been programming for around 20 years, in some way-shape-or-form. BBC Basic > C# .NET

7. Crito

Crito Banned

You're in the same boat I am, and virtually ALL my experience had been with MS languages. Starting with the MS BASIC my TRS-80 booted right into in 1979. :eek:

When .NET initially came out I pretty much changed career tracks just to avoid it. Now that it's matured (and all my VS 6.0 MFC progs are obsolete :cry: ) I've come back around to it.

Of course the basics (i.e. C syntax) carry over, but the new framework is pretty big and there are some peculiarities to the "MS way" of doing things. It's not like VB 1.0 where you could read the skinny manual in a day and become an overnight expert. And when you delve into new paradigms, like SOAP, and realize the other things you'll need to master to utilize them effectively -- like creating HTTP endpoints in SQL Server 2005 to expose "web methods" -- the road starts to look REALLY REALLY long.

FWIW, these are the study materials I'm currently using. 8)
    [​IMG]

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none