confused :s

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by underfire23, Oct 4, 2007.

1. underfire23

underfire23 New Member

k so i dont have a particular objective or job that i am going for in regurds as a career

i just know i have a passion in computers and thats where id like be

so can someone confirm that this is a good route to take

1. A+ N+

2. MCP

3. MCDST

4. MCSA

like i said i have no clue what kind of job i want i just know i want it IT based is this a good path to take

also

i know you can and should self teach a+ n+ but would you recommend doing that for the MS certs?

also how do i go about getting the Certs? like is it online? do i have to take a course? do i just pay for the exam?

i am already taking the practice exams from Transender and preplogic and i have ordered some books for A+ and N+

right now my only job aim is like Best Buys Geek Squad....

i am so confused OMG

also can someone give me the Exam course number thanks in advance

Certifications: none
    WIP: not sure
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

1) You sign up to take the exam with either VUE or Prometric, choose a testing center near you (if available), choose an available time slot, pay online, and then go take the exam at that testing center at the time you chose.

2) You don't need a course. I got all of the certifications in my signature through self-study and on-the-job experience. Therefore, you can self-study for Microsoft exams.

3) You should start looking for an IT job NOW, while you're studying for your A+. If you pass the A+ before you get an IT job, add it to your CV and keep looking. I'd recommend that you get an IT job and get some real-world experience before pursuing the MCSA.

For the record, you won't need anything but the A+ to get a job with Geek Squad.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. underfire23

underfire23 New Member

thanks for your post

im actually in the process of getting a job in a IT environment. Fortuniately i am in a government program where they find the job of in the career your choice (for 6 weeks) kind of like a work placement and if i do good in the placement then there is a possibility of a job afterward.

quick question
    What exactly is MCP and MCDST are they simular? which one would you recommend to do first?

and also how do they compare to A+ and N+?

Certifications: none
    WIP: not sure
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's the "standard" path that most people take and there's nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately, it assumes that it's the only path or at least the only path that's likely to succeed.

I certainly recomment Point 1 for everyone and perhaps Points 2 and 3 since they are the most likely skill sets (and I said "skill sets", not "certifications") to help a newbie get their foot in the IT door. Beyond that, it really depends on what your goals are as related to your interests and your talents. I'd encourage everyone who's considering a career in IT or who is reconsidering some of the initial choices they made to take a look at the wider range of certs (and thus career paths) available (by the way, I and CF are in no way endorsing the organizations found at the following links...I chose them for the simple reason that they displayed a wide list of IT certs...period):

http://www.mcmcse.com/othercerts.shtml

http://www.cramsession.com/certific...endor_id=4&view_type=active&vendor_name=Cisco

Certifications: A+ and Network+