1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused how i got here..but its good...i think

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by morph, Oct 22, 2009.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

See alot of the posts about people getting into networking etc.. I was doing helpdesk stuff - the previous helpdesk stuff i was doing was all aspects - we tried to fix everything and got quite in depth - our current helpdesk have trouble changing passwords.. Anyway, the network team advertsied for a junior network support role - which i went for and got, before this i was always asking them questions offering to help anytime out of hours to pick up any extra knowledge which helped me get my foot in the door - that was about 1.5 years ago. Getting the CCENT or CCNA wont help u day to day i dont think, its a great thing to do if your in a job to help u understand how things work..but i dont really use any aspects of it day to day. And one thing i would say being in networks is by no stretch at all easy..there's no where to hide and it can be very very stressful - cause if u arse somthing up, know one can work, its not like a pc build has failed for one person..and everyone blames the nextwork before their own stuff. I'm at a point now where i feel like i've skipped the server stuff which i feel is a bit of a mistake so i'm now doing the reverse, as well as doing network studying i'm also always chatting to the server guys about server stuff. I even tried leaving my post once as the stress of being put in a very exposed posistion with networks was doing my head in, last night i spent 5 hours changing 8 blades on a 4500 as we had power over ethernet problems, great experience but when am i going to do that again ? Not very soon i dont think.... I also feel if i want to move jobs i'm gonna be a bit screwed, i want to move cities back to where i use to live but i'm going to need a few more years of experience to do that and lots more studying - it is not easy - and whatever u do, dont do a bootcamp, i was made to go on one, there a waste of time if your just learning - buy some kit, and play with it at home - i've got 2 3524 switches, 2 2503 routers, 2 1721 routers and an 877 - use it, understand it and take it form there - pm me if u want any advice from my point of view..which probably aint much ;)

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. morph

morph Byte Poster

actually if anyone has any advice on the server side of things for me that would be good ;)

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security