confused.com

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keithmoon, Mar 4, 2010.

1. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

Hi all,

I am utterly baffled by this one.
    A customer gave me her pc to fix (it was full of virus's) after a bit of a think I decided a clean install would be the best and quickest solution. In goes the vista dvd and I changed boot sequence to optical drive 1st. Windows starts to load files, i select language etc then bang windows cannot install because there is no optical drive installed or driver missing. I cancel installation and restart machine. Upon restart it freezes up on boot screen then after a good 30 seconds goes by a get black screen saying checking array, along with this the optical drive will not open????.....

this screen hangs forver and goes no were.
    after a bit of google'in a few old posts on other forums had found a dodgey hdd to be the cause of non booting fault. so i got an old ide hdd out the cupboard and disconnected the ide cable on the optical drive and connected it upto my ide hdd (done this because there was only 1 ide socket) ............ after this the computer starts up, i then disconnected the ide hdd and kept the optical drive disconnected aswell and it still booted up. so its obviously the optical drive causing the problem although what its doing and how to sort has got me beat :(

the computer is an emachine 4252

cheers all for any suggestons

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Is the optical drive a dvd/r ?
    Might just need a new one mate. Or maybe drivers just need loading up? F6 on xp, cant remember vista
    Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade