Configuring access to shared folders

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Prestd, May 14, 2004.

1. Prestd

Prestd Bit Poster

Hi all,

I am having difficulty understanding a concept from the 70-210 exam, in particular how access works when share AND NTFS permissions are both in play.

If say you had a shared folder which contained a folder for each user on the network, would there be any easy way of grantiting full control over each users own folder but denying access to everyone elses. or would it just be a case of configuring each folder manually?

Any help, advice, or links to good sites would be good as the book i have is about as clear as mud

EDIT - Also what is the difference denying full control to a group and removing a group

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

From the way you have phrased your question I think you are talking about home folders. Don't get side tracked in thinking that the 70-210 exam is solely about W2K Pro, it does cover a little bit of server as well, hence the homefolder question over the network. The answer is to make a shared folder on a computer/server with Full Control to group the Everyone or the name of the group your users are in. In the properties of the user you will need to click onto the Profiles Tab. In there you can enter the path to the home folder share. The path looks something like

\\pcname(or server)\sharename\%username%

Using the % sign makes windows make the folder with permissions to the user only.

As to denying permission to a group. Don't forget that a user can have more that one set of permissions to a file or folder. So if a group has their permissions removed not denyed then a user that has more than one set of permissions for the file/folder will set get access to it with the new set of permissions. If the group has been denyed permissions then the user with more than one set will be denyed access no matter what group or user permissions they have.

I think that's about right but as always if it isn't then I'm sre I'll be corrected. :D

HTH :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong