Concurrent connections?!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jellyman_4eva, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Today, through an experience, I learnt Windows 2000 Professional only accepts 10 concurrent connections.

Primarily I found this by sharing a folder and connecting a group of machines to that share and running an exe that was in it...

However, even when you close the share window, the system still thinks the machine is attached and seems to take ages to free up a connection..

How does this whole thing work?!

And also how come, if for example I install a web server package on the Win 2K Professional, then I can have loads of people connected to that?!

Is it just 10 SMB connections?!

Slightly confused...

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Has to do with Client Access Licenses (CALs). As I recall, Windows client and server OSes come with a limited number of CALs by default (to get more, you have to buy more). This restricts the number of connections you can serve from your computer at any given time. I know there's a "netuse" command to break a connection that has already ended without having to wait for it to time out, but I don't remember what it is. :oops:

This link might explain it a bit better. Oh, since you don't want to require people surfing to your site on the Internet to have to have a license to connect, CALs are not required.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/model.asp

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is correct, and is limited to things like smb connections, IIRC. It doesn't count IIS connections as those are made anonymously. It is not changeable either. I just read a really good article on this within the last week or so. If I can find it again I'll post it or a link to it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. ffreeloader

Looks like I mispoke. As of SP2 all concurrent connections, including IIS connections, are counted. New one on me. Still looking for the link I found a while back.

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

its more to do with the fact MS dont want people using workstation operating systems as servers

CALS are a licence issue, you dont add them to the machine and authorise them like you do a termnal server CAL, you just buy them, and keep them in a book somewhere to show an auditor

the limit mearly stops people using workstations as servers in larger environments
    the CAL issue is important, but as mentioned, theres nothing stopping you having 1000 users on a 2k3 machine with 5 cals

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

licensing has never been my forté, but afaik the 10 concurrent connection limit on 2k/xp professional (xp home has 5 connections, by the way) has nothing to do with cals. if it had you would be able to buy more and license your machine for more concurrent connections. i would really like to see you do that on a workstation.

actually, the limit for iis can be set to 40 like this:
    Code:
    cscript //h:cscript
    c:\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil set w3svc/maxconnections 40
    but that's the limit.

jellyman, what webserver package are you running?

7. ffreeloader

I don't know how you do it, d-Faktor, but you're always coming up with this stuff. It's pretty obscure as I spent some time researching this yesterday and never ran across this.

Good stuff.