Computrain Presentation

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Strasner, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Strasner

Strasner New Member

Ive just got off the phone with Computrain and i had a presentation-interview with them. They got me to go to this site http://computrain-uk.com/test.php# and put in the password test321. After looking at the presntation and listening to the person talk ont he phone im not sure wether this is a good idea or not.

I was told that i would get fully MCSE certified within 6 months with a guaranteed job placement that starts at £25k. This sent alarm bells ringing, as it would cost me £2750 as well, money that i dont have.

Would like to get some feedback about this from more experienced members from the community.

thanks

Dave

Certifications: None at all
    WIP: Starting A+
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yea right more like 2-3 years for an MCSE done properly :dry

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

If you use the "search" option I'm sure you'll find loads of posts that :

1) comment on training providers v. self study

2) will point out Microsoft's requriements for 6-12 months experience before you undertake MCSE

3) will tell you that no-one is going to guarantee you a job, especially in today's climate !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Although all of UKDs points are valid, this one is the main reason why you shouldn't attempt the MCSE without experience... not because you can't pass the exams... but because the MCSE certification isn't going to be worth anything without the real-world business IT experience to back it up.

In truth, it's not a requirement that you have 12 months of experience... but it IS a recommendation that ought to be heeded.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep you could get MCSE in 6 months if you are given material to allow you to cheat or you are very very clever and if you were that clever youd already have a job :D

Their tests are designed to be very easy and give you a false sense of security so you will sign over a big cheque to them. They don't care that they are over certifying people for their experience level all they want is your cash.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Listening to all these "get certified with guaranteed job placement in 6 months" ad's reminds me of the scene in Vegan Vacation when the blackjack dealer Marty is talking to Clark:

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

BM made a very good point, although the only thing i would add is this: you do not need to pay thousands of pounds on a training course. Buy the books and training material you would probably purchase anyway (in addition to the training providers stuff) and use the technologies you are learning about. Get experience in anyway you can.
    Once you have a position, let your employeer train you. You will then see how they spend their money - chances are it wont be the ones advertising "the brick of gold".

Best of luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Strasner

Strasner New Member

Yeah, it did seem too good to be true. When i asked my interviewer what companies they have ties with in the area that i live in, she said that she couldnt give me that information because then i would sweetalk them into giving me a job myself, which seemed a little strange.

I dont think ill go with this TP, or any for that matter. Stick to the self learning books and find an entry-level job me thinks...

Certifications: None at all
    WIP: Starting A+
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

My advice to anyone doing one of the entry-level certs would be to try self-study first. Looks like you don't need that advice now.
    MCSE in 6 months :eek: It's taken me that long to do the A+ and Network+ (assuming I pass next week).

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

Dont do it !

Please dont wate your money

Why may you ask ? Because i was F*cking stupid enough to get involved with them. Biggest mistake ive ever made.

They are expencive,do not reply to email's promptly and the staff there do not have technical knowldge, they admit that - they are SALESMEN OUT TO MAKE MONEY.

The study material is sketchy to say the least, and gives you just the basics

Example : The first few exams on the mcse 2003 course are closely linked to windows XP. I've a good working knowledge of XP so i didnt find it that difficult tbh, infact i passed all those with very high scores.

Now when it got to the Server based exams, oh hell dont get me started, i didnt have a bloody clue. Through reasearch and help from this forum i found out the best way was to set up a "test lab" with server 2003 on it so i could at least get to grips with the basics

The 291 exam is a nightmare, i passed it on my 3rd attempt but nearly had a nervous breakdown studying for it (I'm not stupid by any means and i learn very fast but this had me pulling my hair out)

On top of that, they supply you with pre exam mocks, now originally they supplied me with some mateiral which is frankly, quite dodgy as I've now found out but over the last few month's they have supplied mocks from a company called "Measure up"

Whilst the Measure Up material is incredibly high quality it can be missleading and as youve probably guessed requires you to have a fair knowledge already (not good for the average everyday joe who think's he's going to get a job at the end with a huge salary)

Im currently still studying, not many left to do now so I'll post again once I'm done and see where the so called "Job" at the end of it leads me

Ok I'm going to wrap this post up before i blow a gasket in anger

But before i do. Go to google maps. type 74 woodside green then choose the street view (photographic view)

Need i say anymore ?

Certifications: MCDST MCSA