computing HNC

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by 808, Feb 8, 2006.

1. 808

808 Nibble Poster

can anyone advise me on what is the topics covered on a computing HNC course.I have just had a phone call from a college stating that becouse i have worked with computers and am a mature student i can enrol on a HNC course without having A-levels.Is it mainly programming skills or is it a bit of an allround course.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As far as I know it is a bit of an all round course that does have elements of programming thrown into it.

Why not check the college's website to see if there is a course description so that you can get more details of what is involved?

8)

3. 808

808 Nibble Poster

website is not that detailed at the moment and the tutor only told me what was already on the website regarding length of study etc..I would like to hear from people who have gained a HNC already to advise me on difficulty of the course and what the job market was like for them after.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

One of my friends has an HNC qualification. He said the course basically covers many areas of IT (VB, web design, Networking) which is useful if you are unsure what area of IT is right for you.

If you are wanting to pursue a career in an IT support role then perhaps continue with the A+, N+ studies?

Hope this helps! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I did the HNC in Computing, is about 1/3 of a degree (HND being 2/3's and then top up to a BSc or BA).

The HNC that I did included: HCI - Human Computer Interface, O-O programing with 1 or 2 different languages, Website design, database design, Analysis & design, and Networks. 10 modules over 2 years p/t, I think there were some more subjects but I can't remember, finished mine in 2000.

However different colleges/Uni's actually offer different subjects, a mate of mine who did his HNC at the same time as me but at a different place had Multimedia App's & User Support modules instead of one of my programming modules. So it really does depend on the place you're going to study.

HNC would be about the NVQ 3/4 level, HND's would be level 4 and BSc/BA's would be level 5 (if you're interested), that how it was explained to me anyway.

As for job's after getting your HNC, for me I got my IT technician's role a couple of years afterwards. However I know people that have finished to HNC all the way to the BSc and still don't have a job, on the other hand I know people (ex-classmates) that have been offered an IT job because they were doing the HNC.

Having the HNC won't hinder you getting a role in IT, and every little helps. If you have the time, money and energy go for the HNC & A+ then take it from there.

-Ken

p.s. everyone will have a different view on this subject so when people, talk it's based on personal experience so here's mine. :D

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

not sure if this is any use, but open university (www.open.ac.uk) have a HND in computing that is self study and can be done in 2 years. don't have any specifics to hand as it was a while ago i was looking at it i'm afraid.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design