Computing apprenticeship letter

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by beaumontdvd, Apr 14, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, I mentioned a few monthes ago that I have found a company that is directed by the MOD which provides computing apprenticeships. It states this on the website.

"The advanced Apprenticeship lasts four years, with two years in the Academy and two years spent in on-site placements. This gives you more experience than the standard programme and by the end you’ll have reached NVQ level 3.

Whichever route you take, you’ll also attend a technical college where you can study for anything from a diploma in engineering to a BTEC national certificate or possibly an HNC. You’ll attend college on either day or block release, depending on the course and the needs of the business."

I am interested and have made a call to the careers department but they have said that positions will only be available near mid / end October time but spaces will be extremely limited. I have waited a month and I am really interested and have thought about constructing a letter stating that I am interested do you guys think its a good idea? If so what are the main points I should highlight?

Also it says you will be working towards nvq level 2 and 3 and can achieve a higher certificate at a technical college. I already have NVQ level 2 and 3 but would still be interested do you think this would effect my application. It also has work on site that can be done and good experience.

Hope someone can help advise me, I appreciate all responses and thanks for reading!

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

A lot of apprenticeships are aimed at 16-18 year olds because the government will fund them 100%. If your over 18 you will have to partly self fund, however, in my experience most of the apprenticeship training providers will say no unless your between 16-18 because government funding makes it easier for them. Also i have heard if you already have a qualification level 3 or over it can make your chances more difficult because you are are already considered educated even though it may be in a different discipline.

I also found it tends to be the training providers that have the task of filling the placements on the companies behalf like some sort of recruitment agency. Although the companies have the last word of course

I don't know about the MOD they may do things differently. I can only comment on placements within public companies.

My advice would be try anything, show keenness.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

BTEC national is a level 3 qualification as-well

I think that the argument will be that your already mostly trained to that level already. I expect they're looking for someone who is starting out.

still its worth a try

.. i suppose you will have to do some military training as well? normally its standard if its military related.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots