Computers Running Slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Professor-Falken, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

A friend at work asked me if I would check out his computer he says its running extremely slow one. Two he has a camera and phone he wants to get to work but can't and he having some type of problem with Windows.

I was wondering if anyone could help me help him
    Any good advice to what might help the problem. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Things I should try
    2. Things I should look out for.

Please let me know.

P.S. Might do one of the computers tonight so please reply soon.

Thanks

Professor Falken.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. arvy

arvy Bit Poster

the info is a bit basic mate, what OS is it?, what type of camera conection?. You could check for disk fragmentation, low ram and disk thrashing, use performance monitors, newer drivers, virus, adware and spyware removal, clean system of temp files, disk cache size. A couple of points there you could try. hope this helps.
    arvy.

Certifications: compTIA A+, MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSE
  3. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

i'm with Arvy on this one,

I recently did a mates pc that was so full of adware, and virus's
    that it ran like a dog.

Do a full clean up, remove old programs and dumps etc, then
    if it's better you can concentrate on the other problems, but
    you'll need to sort pc first.

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'd have to agree with these guys. Scan for viruses and adware, do a disk cleanup, then defrag.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Professor, more information would be extremely helpful. When you say the computer runs slow, what is actually happening? Does the computer "run slow" all the time or only when your friend is trying to use the camera and phone? What speed of processor? Does your friend run alot of application software at the same time?

The other issues have been mentioned in terms of what OS is he running, how old is the hardware, how much RAM is on board, could it be a virus/spyware issue, so on and so forth.

When you say a PC "runs slow" you could actually be describing a variety of different situations. Not trying to be a pest, but a tech lives and dies on the details of a problem. Anything else you can tell us here would be helpful. Thanks. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Start>Run>type "msconfig" (no inverted commas) and see if any unnecessary programs are running at start up. This assumes you are using a version of Windows other than 2000, which glaringly omitted this tool (tho I have posted an article on this HERE )

Also, have a look at THIS THREAD for useful advice on emptying the prefetch folder in XP.

Hopefully, all the advice above, plus my 2€ should give you a starting point - as soon as we hear from you, we'll help out more :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Professor-Falken

Could someone give me more information on the following procedures.
    Im a tech newbie and I really appreciate your help.
    Thanks again.
    Professor Falken

 Clean System Of Temp Files
     Low Ram
     Disk Thrashing
     Use Performance Monitors
     Newer Drivers
     Disk Cache Size

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Proff, I think it would be nice if you answered some or all of the questions that have been put to you by the previous posters before you delve deeper into something which is clearly not your forte. :eek:

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Professor-Falken

Sorry about that, that is all the information that was given to me. I apologize and I greatly appreciate the advice given to me in here.

He said the computer was running slow all the time he said he wasn’t running many applications at the same time, but he did say he used the camera and speaker phone to to talk over the Internet.
    He couldn’t tell me what type of
    Computer, Camera Connection or Os,- I think he said Windows XP – Home Edition

I hope this helps
    Thank Again,

Professor Falken

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well at least you've picked up at least one piece of valuable info here, Proff - and that is that when troubleshooting, the first thing to make sure you have to hand is INFORMATION. When assessing a situation where you are presented with problems, gather every relevant piece of info you can think of, then get some more as well.

Then, when consulting with others, you will be able to offer up this information to others who are willing to help, and may be looking at the situation from slightly different perspectives than yourself.

Find out some more about the above setup, and we'll all take a fresh look at it again.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Professor-Falken

Will do !
    Thanks for your help!

Thanks Again

Professor Falken