computers broken...sort of

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaggy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Evening all

3 days ago i returned to my pc to find it crashed on the screen saver, little odd as my system never crashes completely, turned it off at the button as i was on my way out, thought no more of it

2 days ago i went to switch it on, nothing, except for my 2 CD drives lights flashing for 3 seconds and the HDD light staying on for 2 seconds, no power light at all, nothing on the screen (still in standby infact), no beeps, BUT PSU fans and CPU fans spinning

cracked her open, made sure everything was in as it should be, noticed the thermal paste was pretty dry, checked all the voltages on the PSU, all ok. put it all back together, turned it on, booted up, "could not find bootmgr"

fiddled inside a bit more, it booted! sucess i thought, turned it off after 5 minutes as i wanted to get some new paste on the CPU

so today i put the new thermal paste on, turned it on, booted up fine, all ok from now on i thought

however, 15 minutes later it blue screened and restarted...well it didnt fully restart, it went back to square one as i described above, the blue screen failed to dump properly and mention sysfix.32? (i think)

now its completely random when it decides to boot or not, opening up the case and fiddling with the CPU heatsink (which is correctly installed) and sometimes the HDD sata cable brings it back to life for a short while before it completely freezes again with no error meassages, no mouse or keyboard control or anything

suggestions please?

Thanks in advance

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

If you have any hard check cd's etc. now would be a good time to run a few tests.

if not, start by ruling out a software issue, backup all important data, format and re-install teh operating system. if problems still persist, you might try updating the BIOS if you have a flash BIOS.

Past this, you need to look at spending some money with a local computer shop and asking the to fault find, they should have hardware testing tools such as post boards and Testing software

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  3. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

im trying to load up UBCD as we speak as i know thats got a few hardware testing tools, my only problem is it crashes before they finish!

4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

What BSOD errors are you getting?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

i only got one BSOD and it didnt give me an error like i usually see on machines

it just said it was dumping physical memory, but then failed and mentioned sysfix.32.

when it crashes it doesnt BSOD, it just freezes

6. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

After doing some further reading on the net theres literally 100 different things it could be

my money is on new CPU and mobo time, in which case, it can sit and collect dust for a loooong time

open to suggestions though

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

depending on how old this one is...time to build a new one methinks :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably best to boot the PC with the absolute minimum hardware you need and then test each component.

Any BIOS updates available? Also how much RAM are you using?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Yep looks like it's time to rebuild it mate, I assume you have backed up your important stuff :twisted: give the HDD a nice format and go again. scheduled virus and spyware checks are always good I find. Keeping a log of what goes on and when is something that I also do, and fingers crossed no probs for me... not that I can remeber anyway :blink

C :biggrin

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

if it's doing it from a bootable CD then no amount of re-installing the operating system or searching for malware is going to fix it. as has been said.. try running it bare bones.. just the cpu, ram, video card, and CD drive or HDD.

The motherboard would be my guess.. look closely for bulging capacitors that may be oozing brown gunk. A sure sign that it's the mobo.

no usb plugged in or other perriferals.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)