Computer Won't Join Domain

Discussion in 'Networks' started by jackd, Apr 8, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

When i try to join a windows xp professional SP2 workstation to the domain the connection just goes off then comes back on in about 1 second. The laptop is wirelessly connected but the same still happens when it is plugged in via wire. Any ideas?

EDIT:The DC is running Windows 2000 Advanced Server

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hmmm, strange one mate.

How is your DC setup? Is it running DHCP etc. :blink

Also can you ping the server by name and I.P when your lappy is plugged in?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

The server is set up just active directory nothing else.

And i can view all the shared folders and stuff on it so i assume its not the network connection.

???

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I’ve never actually tried to add a PC to a domain that is just running AD, it could be a DNS issue that’s causing the problem. I think when you try and add the PC to the domain it can’t resolve the internal domain name of your network.

What have you called your internal network domain?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

jackd,

In Active Directory, is there a computer account for the Windows XP Professional workstation?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would focus on DNS. Windows 2000 and XP use DNS to locate such things as domain controllers. Your XP client has probably got your ISPs or other Internet based DNS server settings in it's TCP/IP properties and they are not authoritative for your local domain.

You should configure your XP client with the primary DNS server as your DC. And in DNS on your DC, set up forwarders to your ISPs DNS servers. This way, any external request that cannot be resolved by your DC's internal DNS server will be forwarded on.

Clients look for SRV records in DNS which point to domain controllers. Internet based DNS servers will not have the SRV entries for your local domain.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. magic

magic Banned

what do you mean by the connection just goes off?

I would say its a dns issue as said bluerinse, your station is obviously reading an SRV entry that's pointing to the wrong DNS server, therefore you computer can't join the AD domain.

8. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

What i mean by connection goes off is that it loses connection and then comes back online

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The wireless connection goes offline and then comes back on? When it comes back on I'm assuming that this is when you get the error message about joining the domain?

Where is your Laptop getting it's IP address from?

10. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

all of the computers get there ip address from the DHCP on the wireless router

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Have you done this? Thats what I'd suggest is the issue.

12. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Ahh now i remember what i was going to do. I will try it now