Computer Training College

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Shabnam, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Shabnam

Shabnam New Member

Hi everyone. I started with the Computer Training College a few years ago and due to circumstances beyond my control I had to stop studying awhile. Well the while seems to have turned into a good few years. I wasn't worried about this because I was told by the representative sent by the Computer Training College that I could take as long as I need to study 'even if it takes ten years!' Well it's been a good eight years (yes you read that right) and I decided now is a good a time as any to resume the course. I was studying ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence). I was told it would enable me to get a guaranteed job anywhere in Europe working with computers, which is what made me think this was a good move.
    So I've come back with all the messages still in my inbox and no receipt for the 1000s I have paid them. The number in the emails doesn't work anymore and the telephone operator can't find the 'Computer Training College' number on her system! The emails come back failed. I'm not sure what to do, so I try going to www.ctcollege.co.uk and you guessed it - it comes back blank!

I click on 'I Feel Lucky' (google!) and find out that potentially I am not so lucky!!!! Nobody has a good word to say about them and I'm reading stuff like they've gone into Administration, they've been taken to court, they are liars, cheats etc.

Not sure what to do, but have also read about self study. It may sound like a silly question but what does that involve? Help! :cry:

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

You can go to any University that franchises the ECDL and it costs about £70. (or it did back in 2008 when I did it)

It's a very basic qualification, which gives you the basics of how to use Microsoft Office (mainly) ... it would not get you any real job in computing.

A whois check would tell me that you are probably going to lose money here:

Whois computertrainingcollege.co.uk

(I presume they are the same company)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Hi, I don't mean to sound harsh here but... even the best Training Provider in the world won't keep a place open on a course indefinitely, you would be lucky for it to be kept open for a year at most (I think with QA it's about 6 months but I could be wrong).

Expecting a training provider to still honour something from 8 years ago??? wow.

Swallow the lost money, move on and don't expect the ECDL to be the panacea to getting in to IT, it may be harsh but it's the truth.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA