Computer Science Career Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Poby, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Poby

Poby New Member

Hello everyone and good day :) I've been a frequent lurker here and was hoping if I could gleam some advice .
    For tl;dr I bolded the most pertinent parts.

I'm eventually planning on finishing a B.S. in computer science. Between now and then though, due to financial circumstance I will have to take a break in my education to work. I can't go straight through.

My work experience right now wouldn't permit me to get anything but menial work really. The lower pay I get the longer it'll take me to finish my BS.

I'm finishing my A.S. in computer science this semester, December of this year. I know I can't afford to continue right now. Is the associates worth anything? Can I at least combo it with a cert and get a CS job and work experience in the field I want during the down time?

I'm aiming to enter the CS field as a software developer and I'm more code-orientated that hardware at this point (c++/C#/java/HTML/Linux/some others).
    I know about the A+ certification, but it doesn't seem like the thing I'd really want to do. Is there a good, industry recognized certification I can get that caters to my strengths?
    If there's no coder-equivalent to A+ that is as recognized then I'll probably just tough it out and get an A+ .
    My question is: what certificate would combo well with my AS

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually certification ideally should show a certain level of experience, you may be better off applying for junior programming roles and high lighting your existing programming language experience.

As far as the A+ is concerned I wouldn't bother with it as you're not really wanting to go into the hardware \ support field, stick with just telling people you're working towards your B.S. and I would stick to finishing the A.S. as well (it shows willing to continue in further education, after all people know that times are tough).

If you do want to get some look at whats out there certification wise (that aren't specifically language related) I would possibly look at some of the DevOps side of the industry (Linux\Chef\Puppet\Ansible\Salt\Jenkins etc), there seems to be a lot more tie in with Build Automation and Continuous Delivery\Deployment these days where the Devs get involved with the Operations side of the business more.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Anyone got a link for Ansible certification ?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Information on Ansible Certified Engineer can probably be found via watching this video

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Theres one hour my life I'll never get back ! He doesnt mention it.