Computer problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by volume, Jan 9, 2011.

1. volume

volume Nibble Poster

Hey guys,

So the other day I was sitting listening to my computer when it suddenly started making a screeching noice and got a blue screen.

I replaced the power cable thinking it was power but now it happens all the time. I could be sitting on my machine for 5 hours or 5 minutes then it happens.

I have been told to go to the event viewer and cope and paste event 1001

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x100000d1 (0x00000020, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xb71832d3). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini010911-01.dmp.

MS Windows XP Media Centre Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2
    Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P

Certifications: 70-722, 70-721, 70-621
    WIP: 70-720, 790, 791
  2. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Try downloading a program called bluscreenview. It scans your dump logs and is able to tell you what caused your system to crash. If the issue was caused by a driver, the program will tell you the name of the corrupt driver. Great little tool that has saved me a couple of times.

And.... have you installed any software/hardware lately?

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  3. volume

volume Nibble Poster

Apoc202 I havent installed any hardware or software. I am going to download bluscreenview just now and I will tell you how I get on.

4. volume

volume Nibble Poster

Here are my results any ideas as I am clueless
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  5. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

because of the screeching noise i woud of automatically assumed the hdd. when it reads the damaged sector it is crashing.

I will let the more advanced folk analyse the dumps you have put up

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Google this bit....

irql_not_less_or_equal

...to get some ideas. May be a driver issue.

Noticed you are running XP SP2, could you not install SP3 to get the OS up to date?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

irq_not_less etc can be associated with driver issues or faulty ram. Try running with one dimm then swap over and see if you get any errors or download memtest86 and check the ram with it but you must run with one dimm installed at a time for accuracy.

Where exactly was the screeching coming from? have you cleaned any dust of the fans? if the screeching was coming from the hard drive then your hard drive is on its way out so backup asap.

If the screeching was coming from the psu then it is likely the capacitors in the motherboard are dying so the psu will need replaced.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Ok... a little bit of digging around has helped uncover the following:

Portcls.sys is the windows xp pro sound system driver. This one might be solved by updated the driver for your sound card. The portcls.sys file itself isn't the latest, but I think it would be safer to try and upgrade the sound card driver before messing with that. More info here: http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1195710.htm

The second one looks to be like a USB device issue. Have a look at the two pages as they hold a good amount of information on things to try in order to resolve this:

http://www.dubaiforums.com/dubai-hightech/rdbss-sys-and-blue-screen-comp-help-t18547.html
    http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/912552.htm

As for the screeching sound. Where exactly is it coming from in the computer? Is it coming from the actual case or from the speakers? Hope this helps!

EDIT: The SP2 observation is also a good one from sparky. That could also lend a hand in resolving your issues.

In case anyone is interested, I found another program that presents crash dump info in a much easier format. It's "whocrashed". What I can gather from the screenshots it takes the dumps and instead of putting them in a list like bluescreenview it sums it up in a narrative way. More info here: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  9. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

If u could attach the dump file mentioned above, maybe i could use Windbg to get an analysis.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It could be faulty RAM, bad BIOS settings, wrong driver, or a badly written driver.

First, has anything physically been changed with the machine like memory or have drivers been installed / updated ? Don't forget some software can install drivers like CD burners etc.

Second run memtest to check RAM.

Third look into troubleshooting driver issues, as mentioned can use dump file analysis as well as other means.

There are driver debugging tools available like Windows Error Reporting, WinDbg and Driver Verifer.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011