COMPUTER ONLY BOOTS TO SAFE MODE

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

COMPUTER WILL ONLY BOOT TO SAFE MODE AFTER REINSTALLING WINDOWS ON A NEW HARD DRIVE. WHAT HAPPENS IS THE COMPUTER ATTEMPT TO BOOT TO WINDOWS SHOW A QUICK
    BLUE SCREEN ERROR AND THEN SHOW THE WINDOWS ADVANCED STARTUP SCREEN CAN SOMEONE HELP IT IS URGENT. I THINK IT MAY BE A BAD HARD DRIVE.

I AM TALKING ABOUT A WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL COMPUTER , ITS LAPTOP.
    I BOUGHT A NEW HARD DRIVE AND DID A FRESH INSTALL OF WINDOWS XP.

THANKS

PROFESSOR FALKEN

I JUST FOUND THIS INFORMATION ON THE WEB
    Example: If you install a new device (an internal component such as a video card) and don't install the correct driver for the device, that can cause Windows to not boot properly and go into Safe Mode.

BUT WHAT NOW.
    i think its the hard drive driver, could it be if so I cant find it on the website, could you help me find the
    correct driver for the hard drive.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Hello Professor Falken,

First of all,wanted to tell you that if you can go to safemode but can't in normal mode,then your hardisk is in GOOD condition.What safe mode does is it allows the system to boot with only the minimum drivers and also,a big part of the registry is disabled in safemode. Instead,your problem might be with the drivers.When you installed window on this new harddisk,windows probably does not contain the exact appropriate drivers for that harddisk,which could cause this problem,or it might be the drivers for the IDE or SATA controllers.Is it SATA? But usually,it would say 'INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE' as a blue screen ,means that windows does not have harddisk/or hardisk controller drivers. In your case what does the bluescreen tell you? If it restarts before you can read the message,press F8 in the restart and in advanced startup menu, choose to disable automatic restart. Then you can read the message ,boot into safemode,access the internet and google for the bluescreen message or check the MS site for that message. ALSO,when into safemode,try to update your MOBO drivers (of course using the internet not from your original cd hehe),and maybe updating your MOBO drivers would include the new drivers for the CONTROLLERS (IDE,SATA...).Try to update you harddisk driver too. This might solve the problem.
    ANOTHER thing also ,would be that when you enter startup screen,choose ' ENABLE BOOT LOGGING' ,then restart in NORMAL mode.This will create a NTBTLOG.TXT file in your windows folder. Restart and boot into SAFEMODE ,then once there,check the windows folder for ntbtlog.txt and read it...you can see which drivers did and did not load. Then you can have an idea (but this is usually done when you have the drivers but they are corrupted,but in your case you do NOT have the correct drivers...but try that anyway).
    AND as a last resort,tighten the hardisk cables,if the cables are not well plugged in the Hdisk,this may also cause some bluescreens,although I dont think this might be your problem since you can boot to safemode already.

Hope this helps :)

3. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

The harddrive drivers are either on the CD on the MOBO (controllers) ,or come with the operating system.If the operating system version is outdated,it may not contain the appropriate harddisk controller drivers.

4. Professor-Falken

SO I SHOULD GO TO THE MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE AND DOWNLOAD UPDATED MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS. OR SHOULD I START WITH HARD DRIVERS. I GUESS I SHOULD BOOT TO SAFEMODE WITH NETWORKING TO GET ON THE NET ANY OTHER SPECIFICS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU,

PROFESSOR FALKEN

5. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Yes of course : SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING ...standard safe mode wont load the network card drivers.

And btw....let me ask you : Are you plugging the new hardrive using the SAME type of harddrive CONTROLLERS you used with the old harddrive?
    I dont think you will find hddrivers from the hardisk manufacturer's website ,since they are connected through the harddisk COMTROLLERS. Windows should contain these controller drivers in order for the hardisk to properly function. So check your MOBO website and update the drivers.Also download the latest windows updates. There are no hdisk drivers,but hdisk controllers drivers. I should have cleared that from the beginning :) And i dont think the hdisk manufacturer have these controller drivers.Just check your MOBO website.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You might also check your CAPS LOCK key, because I think it might be broken. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

prof its not a bad hard drive.

Do a right click on my computer select manage then click on device manager and have a look at each of the devices that appear in the window. If any have a yellow bubble with an ! in it or a red x then it means windows cannot reconise the device or windows is detecting the device is knackered.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Dios MIO reading these posts made my eyes hurts.

Chaps:

CAPS LOCK IS ANNOYING

So is composingpostseitherwithverylittletonopunctuationornotusingparagraphs.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

pleasestopitzebyouremakingmyeyesbleedwithyourmockingstatements

paragraphs
    do
    rock
    tho.

*eurgh*

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm going to be even more explicit than everyone else.

Professor, stop typing in all caps, please. It's like "shouting" and it's considered rude...even if you are experiencing distress over trying to diagnose and correct a computer problem.

bootmgr, I'm sure you are a wonderful human being, but start breaking your comments up into paragraphs. Trying to read one, long, block of text makes my eyes hurt and I tend to stop reading about a third of the way through.

Thanks guys.

Now, back to topic.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

And don't use text speak (no one did but I feel I should point it out anyway seeing as caps and punctuation have been mentioned) :twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. Professor-Falken

Thank you so much. I download the motherboard / chipset drivers, updated windows to service pack 2 and the computer is now able to boot to normal mode. Thank you so much for your great advice. But now I have another problem that I wont post in this message.
    Anyway I am so thankful for your advice. I have new problem I want to post, so bye for now.

Professor Falken

13. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Hey Professor Falken :)

Glad that your system is now able to boot into normal mode, and its been my pleasure to assist you in the troubleshooting :D

Cheers

14. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Thanks tripwire :) ,and yes you are right,i'll try to break comments into paragraphs.How can i make it up for you? Do you need an eye repair or something :p

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just write human readable text and we'll be fine.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+