Computer Engineer Courses?

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by asje1, May 26, 2010.

1. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

That a quick search on Google, but was really stabbing in the dark. Are there any course / certs / qualifications for Computer Systems Engineers?

Thanks

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I guess it depends on what level/area of IT you're talking about... as the term computer engineer can mean alot of different things to alot of different people/companies (eg the term engineer is a protect title in some parts of the world).

Here are just some examples...

At level 2 you have the following:
    Comptia A+
    Btec/Edexcel Award in Computer Engineering

At level 3 you have the following:
    Comptia Network+
    Comptia Server+
    BTEC/Edexcel Advanced Diploma in IT Network Design & Administration

You also have vendor specific certifications like the:
    MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, CCNP, MCITP: SA, MCITP: EA, etc...

You have professional registrations (including chartered status) like:
    CITP, CEng, IEng, EngTech, ICTTech (depending on what field of IT you work in)

You also have your various degrees:
    BSc Computing, BSc Computer Science, BSc Computer Engineering, MSc Computing, MSc Computer Science, MSc Computer Engineering, etc

Then there's the level 4 further education Diploma's/certs (FE qualifications equivalent to the HE qualifications like the degree):

LCGI, GCGI, C&G's and ECUK qualifications, etc...

And that's just a scratch of the surface.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Thanks for the info.

Basically I mean a qualification more aimed at Hardware. In a nutshell 75% of my work is based on Building and Repairing workstations, therefore a qualification that compliments that best is what I'm ideally looking for. My next step was to pursue the CompTIA N+, but after pondering over my actual duties at work I rarely deal with any networking issues (would be a cert to acheive of course but if there is an alternative more suited qualification then i would want to chase that first)..

I noticed your Profile says 2nd degree black belt, in with Martial Art? I do some JuJitsu and amateur MMA in my spare time - recently entered into my first tournament.

Thanks

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would look at the CompTIA A+ exams then, that's definitely more aimed at the kind of work you're doing.

Next if you're repairing specific hardware (for example HP or Dell hardware) you should look at vendor specific qualifications.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. certsportal

certsportal Banned

Choose any one suitable from CompTIA certifications

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Sorry but I have to warn you that we don't condone brain dumps and your links go to a site talking\offering brain dumps.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Stop... hammer time. :hammert

can't touch this.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Already got my A+ :), Thanks for the advise though.

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Apart from the academic side (eg the mentioned degree's, diploma's, and relevant C&G's in PC support), you can roll your A+ over to the Computer Service Techician cert from the ETA-i. Or see about if you can do things like the DCSE (Dell Certified System's Expert), vendor certifications.

Karate, I used to do Shotokan then moved to Freestyle. Have participated in 3 national closed championships (go 2 medals). However haven't done any proper (class based) training now for a few years :(

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Even so, we still flinch even if he sneezes here at work. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada