Computer Does Not Play DVD Movies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Professor-Falken, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I have DVD drive that read and plays cds but not DVDs in my computer the drive shows up as a DVD drive.
    So i know I have the right driver installed, a tech told me that it could be the drive but that doesnt make any sense to me.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

whats the make and model ?

GRim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

install the codecs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Madre de dios, Hermano we should make a forum just for you thats entitled "Can't be bothered to look it up on Google, lets get CF to do my job for me"

No offence ese, but you really need to learn how to use The Greatest Research Tool Ever Invented

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Do you mean that the drive itself can't access the dvd or that it won't play a dvd movie for you to watch?

If it's the latter, then you will need to install the codecs to play the videos. Try here google.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Has the PC been formated that the drive is in? If so I would agree with the others and say that you dont have the correct or any codecs installed.

I did have a problem with a DVD drive a while back that would not read DVDs but was fine with CDs, replaced it with the same make and model and it worked.

So it *might* be a physical problem with the drive.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Translated:

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

LOL @ this thread, its funny in so many ways.

WIP: LIFE
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok, folks. As former President Bill Clinton once said, "I feel your pain", however you *could* just answer the question and, if you needed to make comments about your feelings, PM the member in question and let him know how they could do searches better *and* show appreciation for the help we given him.

Also, keep in mind that part of why we're here is to help people, regardless of their technical skill level or experience.

Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Point taken Trip, but this dude has been coming to CF for about as long as I have (probably longer) and I can't once remember him contributing anything to the community. All he posts are questions which are related to his job - basically asking us to do his job for him. Now I usually balk at doing someone's homework for them (though I'm not averse to giving them a gentle push in the right direction) but asking people to do his actual work for him? When he just can't be bothered even to make the most basic of Google searches for himself? Come onnnnn - that's just lame.

11. BosonMichael

Trip, we've DONE that, repeatedly, in public and in private, to no avail. Despite MANY suggestions, he continues to ask questions that can be easily searched.

But... you probably know that as well as I do, because you read the forum posts. I know you've got your admin job to do... but don't say we haven't repeatedly made constructive suggestions to him on how to use Google - because we have.

We are certainly here to help people... but not to do their job for them. Sorry if you disagree.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

I didnt know that babysitting was also part of your job description:D. Nice job you are doing mate :p

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  13. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Codec's

I am sure this was covered in the A+ at you claim to have.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You don't mention the OS, but remember that out-of-the-box XP has no ability to play DVDs.

You need the MPEG2 filter/codec. Easiest way is to buy and install WinDVD or PowerDVD.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

So what do you suggest? We could make sarcastic comments and hope he goes away or take the moral high road and continue to help...or just don't respond. Since when did our faith say we stop doing good just because we're not appreciated? :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

You will be having my vote come next year for best advisor 8)

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  17. BosonMichael

One COULD say that "our faith" teaches people to do for themselves what they can. Consider Moses in Exodus 18:

We've told him what he needs to do to handle the "simple ones" that he can search on his own. He simply needs to do it. The "difficult cases", sure, we're here to help with those.

Sure, we are to show compassion... but we don't have to encourage bad behavior. In my opinion, doing the work FOR him is NOT "taking the moral high road", as you put it.

As far as sarcasm is concerned... Jesus himself was quite sarcastic at times, particularly with those who were unwilling to listen.

So... please, don't be trying to tell me what I *should* be doing by "our faith"... :dry

Again, we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

18. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I didn't see this coming, So did the dvd-rom get fixed?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  19. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

WIP: LIFE
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Bud - I've read - and (since I was the one who initiated it) re-read that thread, but cannot see anything in common between that thread and this. One was a discussion about an admitted braindumper providing crappy advice, this one is about a long-time CF member who refuses to conduct basic Google searches when he comes across a problem in his job, expecting forum members to donate their valuable time and energy to, in essence, do his job for him.

Me and Mike have had disagreements in the past (most noticably about religion and the political position of the US as it relates to the rest of the world) but I really, really cannot see any correlation between those two topics. If I didn't know better, I'd suggest you were just using this thread to get a rise out of him.