Computer Desktop Fundamentals??? What is it?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by hbomb2k10, Aug 3, 2010.

1. hbomb2k10

hbomb2k10 New Member

Hi I am planning to do a course with ELATT.

The lady I spoke to said, I can get on level 3 (which will be a MCSA/MCTS) if providing I pass the Computer Desktop Fundamentals exam otherwise I have to do a level 2.

I graduated in Information System so I feel I am apt enough to go straight into level 3 which is a MCSA/MCTS. Plus I done AVCE at college.

What has me confused is I can't find any material or what Computer Desktop Fundamentals is, its the first time I have heard of it and its on the Microsoft Roadmap.

Can someone shed some light??

Thanks in advance

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

They could be talking about either (based on what you've told us):

1. IC3 Computer Desktop Fundamentals or
    2. CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals or even the A+.

However for clarification, I would say ask them.

However have you contacted your local college(s) to see if they do the courses youre interested in? Most of the time, the local college can offer you the courses at a cheaper rate.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I guess you are talking about this ?

http://www.elatt.org.uk/courses/Computing3.html

They have very reasonable prices.

Graduated with Information systems ? Are you a degree graduate ?

AVCE, never heard that before either, guess its this :-

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/AVCE_Information_and_Communication_Technology

They seem to be teaching A+ and MCSA type material but on the newer track.

I'd still reccomend getting the A+ before you start on MCSA/MCTS style exams, upto you if you self study or not.

If you approached them with the A+ they'd pretty much have to let you on level three plus you'd have it to show employers.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  4. hbomb2k10

hbomb2k10 New Member

Hi,

The A+ they have stated separately, now when I did AVCE one of the modules was exactly the equivalent of A+. So I don't want to spend money on something I already know.

The Computer Desktop Fundamentals is above that on their "pathway map". It also states in brackets Windows XP or Vista. It has nothing to do with IC3 or CompTIA I think it seems to bemore to do with Microsoft.

With ELATT, the local college will not be able to match their price as its free because I'm going through the job centre. Its just the exams I have to pay for.

Yes I have a degree in Information Systems and AVCE is like an A-level but more coursework/portfolio based.

She told me they updated from MCSA to MCTS. As far as what I saw when I went there it was class room based not self study.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like the MCDST on XP or the MCTS on Vista.

Then she is slightly mistaken. Microsoft "updated" the MCSA to the MCITP: Server Administrator certification.

Just curious... why do you want to take (and pay for) a structured course rather than save the money and pursue the myriad of self-study options out there?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

May I also ask how you are getting the materials free through the job centre. Have you been off unemployed for a long time?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  7. hbomb2k10

hbomb2k10 New Member

well not really i was unemployed for about 5 months before i found this course. its backed or funded by the EU. its not through the job centre, its a charity organisation and they take on unemployed people interested in IT but its run by the government and the job centre im sure pass you over to them.

the college i did my avce in they were charging for MCSA £1200 and from what my friend's brother told me that is now out of date.

the course starts this september and if you prove your unemployed your good to enter.

8. hbomb2k10

hbomb2k10 New Member

She told me its just a test if I pass it I can over look doing a level 2 which includes gaining my A+ which I have already covered in college.

On their website it says that MCSA has been replaced by MCTS for Windows Sever 2008, which I think what they mean is what they are now offering because when I saw their advert in the job centre it was for MCSA.

Well the course is free if your unemployed, which I am because frankly retail was numbing my brain!!

Much of my PL/SQL and VBA knowledge is now lost to the depths of my sub conscious along with UML. all what made me interested in my degree. Much of these jobs wanted years of experience where starting in IT support many of the job ads just want someone certified. So I thought I go down this route and keep trying for software development also.

Your wisdom would be much appreciated!