Computer collector wants to take it further

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Oli_HD, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Oli_HD

Oli_HD New Member

:twisted:

Anyhow Hi, Im Oliver from Lichfield and am thinking about taking the A+ course as it looks like good fun.
    I found this site after a google search and have been reading the forum for a while now.

I collect old computers (Amiga's mainly (17), some Sinclair's (3 ½) and some other bits and bobs) and have been playing around designing little upgrades for them but its time I know a bit more about PCI, SD-Ram, etc.

Now Im looking for a hardware computer course and the A+ looks like a cool one to take and reading this forum has already taught me something (232323 fefe... or something like that :rolleyes: ) so I have a good feeling about this.

Anyway be nice and be ready, ready for stupid questions.
    Thanks and Hi again. (Incase you skipped the dribble above)
    Oliver Hannaford-Day

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Oliver - thanks for the intro. Good to meet you, and a warm welcome to CF :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi, welcome aboard :thumbleft

Amiga 500, those were the days :D What would you recommed to run the Amiga OS on a PC?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Holy shmokes,Amiga?...Spectrum?.....Now THAT was computing!!!

Welcome to CF...

It was FFEE by the way.. :dry

Certifications: A+ Network+
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome.

Amiga - I remember that! Somewhere here I have a whole lot of programming guides for that... Along with 'Kickstart'.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

What was the OS based on?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Oli_HD

Oli_HD New Member

Hi, Thanks for the replys guys. :D
    Well there is AROS which is an attempt to rewrite a code compatiable but x86 version of the Amiga's OS, or you can do what most people do and emulate it using WinUAE.

Ive got two A500's but the best sytem is my Amiga 4000 which has 4X PCI slots, 4X Serial, 2 Par, SCSI CDRW, SCSI X16 5 disc CD changer, SCSI DVD-Ram, Ethernet, 68060@50Mhz & 604e PPC@233Mhz, PIO5 IDE card and a real nice but dead Picasso IV Graphics card. :(
    There is a new 100% PPC Amiga now running AmigaOS4.0 now.

Dohh, so maybe I wont take the exam just yet then? :rolleyes:

8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Now that takes me back. :-)

I remember the arguements we had at school as to which was better, the Amiga or the Atari ST. I personally had an Atari . . . as well as an Amiga, but I didn't tell people I had the Amiga, just so I could sound convincing when I stood up for the ST. (Which at the time didn't seem to have as big a following as the Amiga.)

Nice to have you on board by the way Oli_HD. :)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The Amiga was a mixture of things. Most of the core stuff was original, and a *very* good multi-tasking system.

The problem was the disk-os. The original project got way behind, as it was an advanced object-orientated system. So when a group of people from Cambridge turned up with a port of an obscure system called TRIPOS they were welcomed.

The snag was that TRIPOS was written in BCPL - an antique pre-cursor of C, whereas the rest of the system was in C.

This made programming the Amiga 'interesting' to say the least.

I believe that near the end a project to turn AmigaDOS into C was nearing the end, but by that time I had seen the writing on the wall and moved to majoring on the PC.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. krizzy

krizzy New Member

Hi Oliver,

Why don't you try to get MCDST certification? I think that's the easiest certification to earn in Microsoft. By the way, I'm Krizzy from the Philippines. Would you consider getting your certification in my country? Well, I was just wondering because I'm currently connected with a Microsoft Certified Partner for Learning Solutions (CPLS) based in Cebu, Philippines. :)

11. Oli_HD

Oli_HD New Member

Hi krizzy
    Im not really a "Microsoft" person if you know what I mean. :noway
    From what I have just read the MCDST is all about "Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP" which sounds... well it sounds like my idea of hell, lol. (Your having problems installing MS Works? Well do you have the disk? ok, bye. /me smacks head against wall, etc)

Im after a hardware only type of exam, telling me what port goes where, how to interface to PCI slots, etc.

Thanks for asking though. :D

12. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

A hardware only type exam I think might be hard to find. (Though I may stand corrected.)

The closest thing I know of is the A+. This has two core exams. One, purely hardware based, the other the OS side of it.

It isn't quite as bad as it sounds, because the OS side takes into account knowledge of most windows operating systems, and by sounds of it, you are quite an experienced computer user.

http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/default.aspx

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi Mate - welcome to CF

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there Oliver and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009