Computeach settle out of court

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shaunyboy, Oct 3, 2004.

1. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Thank you to everyone who helped in my claim against conuteach for misrepresentation. They settled in full and out of court but this of course in no way means that they were guilty of lying, deceiving and failure to deliver products or services.

The terms of my settlement (which I haven't signed yet) mean I cannot even talk about conuteach in any way that could be seen as negative. Sadly I have nothing positive to say either.

Shaun.

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i think you will find that pretty unenforcable by law

its called freedom of speech, and we have it, as long of course, as you can back it up so as it is not classed as libelous :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Nice one Shaunyboy good to know you stood by your convictions and won...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

As already said freedom of speech they can do diddly squat to try and gag you. Congrats on the settlement BTW. :thumbleft

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

erm..... freedom of speech isnt a be all and end all guys, the military use contracts to ensure its employees dont talk about classified (etc) information, and employers can make you sign privacy agreements declaring you wont discuss confidential details about your job to anyone. one major example: the medical profession!

when you sign a contract to this effect, you become legally bound to the contract (usually for a certain period after the contract ends, but sometimes for life!), and if you're caught doing it, they CAN (and usually DO) prosecute!

there are a few things which overrule this contract however, such as being called as a witness in court!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

actually both of your examples are bound by seperate laws limiting what the profession can talk about

and job contracts also hold little ground unless you discuss trade secrets (in which case again, another law applies)

you wont find a gag order holding much ground in court, ever

anyone can write a contract with anything in it fergal, it doesnt mean it will ever hold ground

if you ever work for a bank, your likely to find the clause 'you can not work for another competing financial institute for upto 6 months after leaving your posistion with [current employer]

like hell you cant lol :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you may of course, be right i spose phoenix, however, thinking about it, you will most likely find that in shauns case, the gag order states that he would have to return the money back to the company in the event of breaking the terms. that in itself would most likely stand up. once again, you sign a contract stating you wont. in that event you can make the choice one way or the other, its just they both have consequences.

either way id make damn sure before i signed one way or the other. hate signing contracts stating things im unaware of.

Fergal

(BTW: grats shaun!)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Fergal,

Shaunyboy didn't say that he would have to return the money if he did say something negative, he only said that they have told him not to say anything negative.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Bertie

Bertie New Member

Well done to you - hope I get same outcome - will post result. Thanks for sharing your experiences - they may try to stop you talking - don't worry, plenty of people are and will! :D

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Bertie. I see you are new to these parts.
    Welcome to CertForums. Please take a moment to pop up to the New Members forum and introduce yourself. Thanks. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+