Computeach MCDBA/MCAD

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Frontier, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Hi everyone I recently had an interview with a careers advisor from Computeach, and he recommended that I should take the MCDBA (Database Administrator) and MCAD (Programming) courses with them in order to help achieve my goals. I told him that I wanted to work either as a DBA or a programmer. However the price I have been quoted for the 2 courses together is very expensive (*£5200). I would like to know if anyone here has had any experience with computeach and taken this course/or any other course with them. If so, what were they like? What should I expect when it comes to getting my first job in IT? The advisor pointed out to me they have a special careers advice unit. I guess at this stage im just trying to find out if I would benifit from this course and if it would help me get a job as a programmer/DBA. What sort of salary should I expect to start on and do employers hire people with these quals without experience? as a trainee maybe?

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Frontier - read around the other posts in this sub-Forum, as theres loads of other threads where folks are asking very similar lately. You should gain plenty of opinions on them. Also, theres the Programming, Scripting and Web Design Forum - might help too.

Other than that, why not swing by our New Members board and say hello - once you introduce yourself, you'll find the Guys here will be only too willing to answer any questions you may have.

Hope that helps for now :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Aardvark

Aardvark Bit Poster

Frontier - I'm in a similar position, although I want to choose between them not do both! My gut feeling is MCAD because I know some programming basics and have never used Access or other databases. However, databases do appeal to me and from what I have read there will be a fair bit of actual programming involved and I would like to know more before I decide a "career path".

I think I want to learn the fundamentals of programming first (via MCAD), but does anyone here know how easy the switch is, once down a career path, between programming and database development. If it is possible then I would have thought it would be easier to switch from programming to databases rather than the other way around as I heard that SQL is easy to pick up for example, and the actual art of programming is what would be important.

Also, for us people wishing to change career, it would be nice to have a feel for what it is like (day to day) to be a systems engineer, programmer, database developer etc. I realise this is a certification forum, but are there any people out there that would like to share their experiences?

4. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Aaardvark, I didnt realise up until yesterday that taking both courses could mean upto 3 years of study! I guess I will have to make a choice somwhere along the line. I was thinking of doing both to keep my options option and I wanted to learn about both. Like yourself I know the basics of programming - I have programmed in pascal and VB at a basic level. I have alos used access and databses at a basic level. My biggest concern is getting that first job - How much do employers value these qualifications, alot of jobs rrequire 2 or 3 yrs experience.

5. Aardvark

Aardvark Bit Poster

That is the big question on my mind too. From what I have read there are a lot of IT jobs out there, but it is never easy getting that first one, and there is certainly no guarantee by getting certified. Getting experience is also a problem. I have been told that some companies recognise that putting time and effort into these certs counts for something! Also (if they are as good as they say they are) training providers with recruitment sections (e.g. NITLC, Computeach) can help you get that first job if employers recognise them as having provided good personnel previously.

How close are you deciding on what to do?!

6. headcoach

headcoach New Member

I am having avisit from computeach next week and I want to do programming.

But the job question is on my mind, from what I have read in the forum - there job section isn't much help and you have to do most of the job hunting yourself.

The experience question is the toughest one!! I will ask the computeach sales advisor next week.

I have posted a thread asking for anyone with experience on the front of getting a job after a course to reply - we'll see how many people have actually done it - when I get the replies. According to teh gumph it's an 80%+ success rate with getting a job - so i should get quite a few replies...

7. rich0148

rich0148 New Member

OK, my opinion only, but I would not touch computeach with a barge pole, they are very sales orientated, the person who calls to your house will convince you that you are bill gates and that all will go perfectly well. I have numerous accounts of essentially several thousand pounds being spent on what could be gained from searching Google and downloading. Especially for DBA, which I am, just get yourself, in the beginning a good database engineering book, next a good raw SQL book, then go onto SQL Server or ORACLE. Spend the money at home on a good pc which will act as a server and then load either SQL Server or ORACLE, and again, work on a home project or some of the good training packs out there and aim towards certification using trancenders. Me, personally, I would spend the money on a server, a desktop and maybe a few good books. Then all you need is time, ha.

I know of people who have gone to computeach and regretted it, what makes it worse for me is that they advertise on daytime TV, OMG, along with all of the claim and blame adverts. Any more questions, please post.

Ta

Rich

WIP: N+, S+ poss MS