compTIA through skillstrain! help

Discussion in 'A+' started by slim, Jan 10, 2010.

1. slim

slim Bit Poster

I have paid alot of money through skillstrain to provide me with support and course materials in order to complete A+ N+ and LINUX courses! they have guaranteed me that they will pay my exam fees which comes to 267.90 for the A+ exams! anyone ever had problems gettin money back??? also, reading through the posts i have spotted quite a bit of chat about purchasing vouchers. what are they? maybe im just stupid and should know!

thanks

slim-

WIP: compTIA A+N+&LINUX
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I can't help you with getting refunds, for that you'd have to speak directly to them.

However as for vouchers...

There are two ways of paying for the exam:
    1. Thru cash or card directly to Prometric or Vue, or
    2. Purchasing the exams vouchers, from places like Gracetech solutions, etc... Then when you book the exam on Prometric or Vue site, instead of inputting your card details, you type in the voucher code.

If you do decide to go down the voucher route, ensure that you purchase the international/UK (dependent on what voucher you go for) ones, as they are only valid in the area assigned. For example a North America voucher will not work in the UK and vice versa.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. slim

slim Bit Poster

i'll take a look into your advice for future exams, vouchers seem like a good way of saving towards exam costs!

many thanks ken

-slim

4. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

$267.90 for the A+ exams seems pretty cheap? Is that is USD funds?

I just booked both A+ exams and it cost me: $336 total at $168 per exam.

One thing about vouchers is no refunds! I actually booked one test with a voucher and the other by paying straight to Prometric (so it was a bit less then $336 more like $315). That way if I fail the first exam and feel that I need to study more I can just cancel the 2nd exam, get my money back, and study more for the 2009 exam.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Since his location is Northern Ireland it will be good old GBP.
    There is no penalty for rescheduling an exam as long as you do it more than 24 (or is it 48?) hours before your exam, and you can reschedule as many times as you want.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. slim

slim Bit Poster

unfortunatly thats in stg. not US dollars!

i booked mine through pearson VUE, i found it much easier to find what i was looking for.

i gotta sit both my A+ exams on the same day due to work commitments, and on top of that added pressure i cant fail! after feb. i cant find any test centers in Northern Ireland that sit the 2006 objectives again before the change to the 2009 objectives, which for most wouldnt be a problem but the company that supplies my course materials and pays for the exams mite not let me do them until i prove im ready to by doin tests which is very time consuming.

does anyone know if the new objectives are much different from the 2006.

-slim

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

When you say refund, do you mean refund on your course - or is it one of those things where you pay for your own exams and then they refund you cost?

The former is going to be next to impossible and the latter will merely be a complete ball-ache.

The chances are that they will only refund you what you paid, so it doesn't really matter what method you use. By credit card over the phone or via the website is usually quickest.

A lot of TPs seem to be insisting that people slog on with the old A+ objectives for lost of silly reasons, and I guess the truth of it is simply that they haven't got their act together with the new stuff. For some reason TPs always seem to be the last to find out when exam objectives change. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. slim

slim Bit Poster

Just a refund on the exam costs unfortunatly, but they pay for every exam im sitting with them which includes A+ N+ & linux, weather i pass or not! or so they say! i have sent off the relevant paperwork to get a refund so we shall see!

Im begining to realise just how clueless they are when it comes to courses being updated! fortunatly, i've been studying for a while for the A+ exams so im as ready as i will ever be!

-slim

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why not visit the compTIA website to find out?

There 2009 will have Vista topics in it but other than that probably not too much difference.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. bubs

bubs Bit Poster

Oh god not skillstrain. I signed up with them nearly 2 years ago for the same courses your doing it was going to cost a total of about £3500 i think. This geezer came to my house interacted with me and my wife and even my young daughter he seemed to be part of the family. He came across a nice bloke but i could tell he was trying to sell me there training. Well like an idiot i agreed and signed the dotted line. Anyway the day after i thought that i would google skillstrain feedback, and to my amazement there was thousands of negative reviews. Well i got cold feet immediatley. So i phoned the geezer to cancel and he was like ' hehe i knew you would cancel, i knew you didnt have what it takes. But i thought i would not slag him off on the phone incase he did not cancel my course. Eventually he agree and i managed to cancel. Anyway approx 6months ago there is a program called watchdog in the UK who name and shame companies for ripping people off and guess who starred the show, SKILLSTRAIN, looks like someone on this forum write this:
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=28790

Please be careful with those idiots.

WIP: A+