CompTIA Security+ Queation

Discussion in 'Security+' started by lebin999, Nov 5, 2007.

1. lebin999

lebin999 New Member

hi everyone,
    i am a uni year 3 student and study Information system in the uni, i want to online study CompTIA Security+ ,can anyone tell me how long approximately will finish the course in i study full time~~Thanks..

2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

In a word, no. Everyone is different, depending on what experience you have and how quick you pick things up, will determine how long it will take you.

May I ask, how much experience do you have in the security sector, and why you want to start with this cert?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. lebin999

lebin999 New Member

not much....just finish a short course call "Enterprise Information system security" which is roughly describe some security issues. i start this Cert because of i interesting in the area's knowledge and want to focus on this area in the future.............

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

CompTIA recommends two years experience in networking with emphasis on security before pursuing Security+... and I'd agree. Besides, the Security+ won't be very useful in helping you get an entry-level job because entry-level jobs don't involve security.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. lebin999

lebin999 New Member

i have little confusING NOW....can anyone give me some suggestions which CERT is more suitable to me? i am interesting NETWORKING & SECURITY.........

6. BosonMichael

There's not much networking in entry-level jobs, but you can certainly work up to that. I'd recommend the A+ for starters. Get an entry-level IT job, then pursue the Network+ and MCDST. As you gain experience over time, start seeking out more advanced job responsibilities, eventually working into a network administration position. There, you will be able to work with networking and security to your heart's content... but it won't come overnight, nor at the start of your career.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. lebin999

lebin999 New Member

so do u think i better to do CCNA OR CompTIA A+? which one is more useful in the future.....

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You should start with CompTIA A+ then N+ (Networks) then MCDST.

Definetley not CCNA untill you have more experience in the real world.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. BosonMichael

Allow me to state it this way... you need the A+ and an entry-level job to even HAVE a future in IT. Thus... I'd say that the A+ is pretty darn important to your future! :)

Getting the CCNA without first getting real-world networking experience in IT is virtually useless.

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let's see...interested in networking and security. No real world experience. Probably the best study path would be A+, Network+, Security+, and then perhaps the CCNA. Whilst you're in the middle of all that, start applying for entry level desktop support/helpdesk jobs to begin getting some experience. That should keep you busy for a year or so. By then, you'll have a better idea what your skills/aptitude/interests are taking you.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. lebin999

lebin999 New Member

Thank everyone..........................................^^