CompTIA S+

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by Rayan, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Rayan

Rayan New Member

Hi,

I am very new to this forum and I believe that this is the right place where people can guide me correctly. I want to become Server + certified so wanted to know that if I can directly do this course or need to start from the basic level (if any). Looking for your help.

Certifications: ITIL
  2. Rayan

Rayan New Member

Hi,

Can any one please please help me?

3. Angie2011

Angie2011 New Member

Hi Rayan

There is as such no hierarchy in taking CompTIA exams. However to attempt the security+ course , it is recommended you CompTIA Network+ certification and two years of technical networking experience, with an emphasis on security.

In case you have the requisite background , you could opt to attend a training camp or prepare yourself by studying. There are lot of resources available online.

Are you planning to undergo the training yourself?

Best Regards
    Angie

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

With the Server+, you can go for it directly. However it is recommended by CompTIA that test-takers have 18 to 24 months experience in server technology, along with a CompTIA A+ certification - but it is a recommendation...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Rayan

Rayan New Member

Hi, This is really informative. I would first do A+ and then S+.

I don't have enough time in hand and have to become S+ by end of August 2013, so I believe the fastest way is to go through a provider rather than self study. I just viewed certification.comptia.org/Training/training.aspx and found few companies advt. (Training Camp, CBT Express, MyITstudy, NetCom). Any idea about these providers? Currently I am searching desperately for a good training provider.

6. zach.mantle

zach.mantle New Member

All the providers are good enough to get you clear the exam. Look for prices and freebies so that you get more bang for your buck.

7. Angie2011

Angie2011 New Member

I recently came across couple of providers providing iPad mini/Laptops along with their courses. Has anyone tried out any of them..I have seen courses from Global Knowledge and MyITstudy and they give i Pad Mini along with their courses! How effective is this? .

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well the marketing side has worked, as we're talking about them ;)

As for the course themselves, from what I've heard re GK, they are pretty good. The downside is that the courses are on the little more expensive side, but they do advertise them (which is a big plus).

Haven't heard anything re MyITStudy, so can't comment.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Angie2011

Angie2011 New Member

Hi

Thank you for your reply

Global knowledge does seem expensive. I was comparing the rate of courses with other providers and came across MyITstudy. So I was just looking to see if anyone had any feedback about them considering their prices seem fairly reasonable ( plus the free I Pad :) , cant ignore that :p

Best Regards
    Angie