CompTIA & Recruiters

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by Thomas7918, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Thomas7918

Thomas7918 Bit Poster

Hey guys

I would like to know if any of you have been asked to validate your certifications with an additional e-skill test. I have applied for a boat load of recruiter positions, and some of them shoot me a e-skills test link.

Perhaps I am in error here but my slant on this is, I worked hard for the CompTIA certification I have and it is verifiable, not to mention it is suppose to be recognized all over and now some one wants me to take a test that was written by WHO, and Verified to be accurate?

I can only imagine what some one with several years of coarse work and $60,000.00 of debt would feel.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes about 50% of jobs that I've applied for had some sort of technical exam at pre or post interview stage.

Personally, I'm in two minds about it...

On one hand, I've forgotton more about IT than some have learnt, plus in the real working environment unless you do something day in/day out you would use references with the job (be it technet, google, books, CBTs, etc...).

On the other hand, alot of people do cheat.

At our place, when we go thru the interview process for new IT staff, yes we have a technical test - but it's only a small percentage of the overall interview process. As or the test itself, not only would we look at whether or not the answer was correct, but how the person answered it...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Exams and interviews are quite common for lower level positions. You tend to see less of them when you progress up.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. Thomas7918

Thomas7918 Bit Poster

Hey Guys - Thank You for the feed-back.

I have to comment on the e-skills test a potential employer requested, there was only 3 general windows questions out of 60, the rest were either MS Office questions or logic questions. It left me with the impression "skills not required" please send all request to Tier II.. and have a nice day.

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just wait until you get handed a 50-100 question Emotional Intelligence Test. Went thru a couple before losing interest and just started to pick all A's; funny by the end, don't think they liked me that much. Not that it mattered, half way thru the interview found out that I didn't like them or the job they were going offer - not what they advertised.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I remember one job interview I went for..

It was going really well - the interviewers seemed a good bunch and they seemed to like me too. I had to stop the interview about 3/4 the way through though as I discovered that the job was actually more sales than tech AND they were only considering me for the junior role (I'd spoken to the agency prior to this to make sure that it was MORE tech than sales AND that it would have to be the higher-paid role, as both would still represent a pay-cut for me).

This didn't stop them getting back to the agency after a couple of days 'deliberating' to say that, eventhough they were happy with my skills and liked me as a person, they thought that I would be better suited to a more tech-biased role! :blink:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  7. Thomas7918

Thomas7918 Bit Poster

Hey Wagnerk - 50-100 question Emotional Intelligence Test - It seems like this is at least; half the problem - There are people in hiring positions with no clue of how the actual position is performed - Perhaps this was lost when the shift from within to other became an industry Fad.