comptia or cisco certs?

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by new2it, Sep 27, 2011.

1. new2it

new2it New Member

hi all. i am new to the field of IT and so i have no experience. looking for a career change, i was told by a friend who is a CCIE about the cisco certification route. so i have decided to study for my CCNA and i am taking the 2 exam approach, and then i will go for the CCNP. i was reading a post and it said that most employers will not give you a job just on the fact that you have a CCNA or CCNP and NO work experience. Should i go for the comptia n+ cert as well? is that considered an entry level cert? will that help me get a job. eventually i am going the CCNP route.

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

How much experience do you have with computers? I've not sat any of the networking exams but from what I've learned in the short time of being at certforums:

• A+ will give you the hardware/software experience with computers
    • N+ will give you the fundamentals on networking
    • CCNA/CCNP will teach you how to deal with Cicso Networking as well as build on your knowledge from the N+

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

It's all good a CCIE telling you to do the CCNA then move to CCNP - but without 2/3 years experience in working with cisco kit on that level, it's pretty pointless.

I'd start off at N+ - then CCENT, get a job, then move onto CCNA/CCNP

You will learn so much more from hands on experience in a job than you ever could self studying, to see something in a live enviornment is worth 10x more than any study book.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Start with MS certs they will look best on your cv and help you get a job.

Certifications: A few.
  5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

The CCENT is a great starting cert for the networking field. What i would say though is there are more entry level jobs out there for helpdesk/desktop support than there are jobs for entry into networking with no other experience. Therefore, and in the long run you will be a better network engineer for it, i'd say look at getting an MS entry level cert (the guys here will recommend the best one) and start applying for 1st line support jobs. I'd suggest there is also no harm in doing the CCENT aswell, but your primary focus should be on getting that MS entry level cert and applying for 1st line support roles. Once you have a good understanding of the OS/end user side, including server admin, then pursue networking. You will be a much better network engineer for it 5 years down the line.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Cisco also launched a new entry-lever cert:

Cisco CCT Routing & Switching certification focuses on the skills required for onsite support and maintenance of Cisco routers, switches, and operating environments. Technicians in this area must be able to identify Cisco router and switch models, accessories, cabling, and interfaces; understand the Cisco IOS Software operating modes and identify commonly found software; and be able to use the Cisco Command Line Interface (CLI) to connect and service products. Achieving CCT Routing & Switching certification is considered the best foundation for supporting other Cisco devices and systems.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/l...ning_certification_type_home_extra_level.html

I think this one is now the first step into Cisco, before the ICND1/CCENT

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Seems like it's the CCENT with all the theory removed.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job