CompTIA not so sure!

Discussion in 'A+' started by Fluid, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Hi, well iv asked around and the feedback that i got from CompTIA were poor! Everyone told me DO NOT BOTHER! WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY all there courses are crap and the only couse is worthwhile doing is the S+! Im not sure what to do really, im hoping to go into Network Security and i will be doing my CCNA in september. But i was wandering is i t worth while doing A+ and N+ as well? im 100% sure im doing the S+.

I was hoping to do the following courses within the next 2 years!

Security+ (CompTIA)
    CCNA (Cisco)
    Certified Ethical Hacker (EC Council)
    EC-Council Certified Security Analyst (EC Council)
    CISSP
    CCSP (Cisco)

Should i just do the A+ and the N+ as well? So within the first year i would have N+, S+, A+, CCNA and maybe CEH! The others i am planning to do within the secound year... please advice!

Is that possible? Are all EC Council certs for life? What about CISSP? Is that for life too? Is it worth doing EC Council certs? Are they well recognised?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - are you asking about *courses* or *exams*?

While I know nothing about the courses the exams are good. And you can do self-study for them, so you don't *need* a course.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

wow - is it even possible to do all of those in 2 years??!?!? Makes my head hurt even thinking about it!

My collleagues at work scoffed when I said I was doing the A+ and most either hadn't heard of Comptia or questioned why I wasn't simply doing Microsoft certs.... well, we had a server problem recently, and I was the only one that managed to resolved it - using knowledge from the A+ :D and quite a few of them had NT/2k MCP exams behind them.

I would say yes to A+ and N+ as it gives you a great foundation before leaping into anything else.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. Crito

Crito Banned

What you get out of it is what you put into it. If you study hard passing the test almost doesn't matter. You'll use the knowledge on a daily basis.

If, on the other hand, you're just looking for some awe-inspiring acronyms, then having a bunch of cute little plus signs after your name probably won't impress anyone. :ohmy

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I think something like A+ will benefit you a lot. It covers a lot basic stuff that you should know before beginning a specialization like security. So is N+ for networking those two together will help you alot in understanding future material because you already will know the basics before starting the ccna or ceh which will make it a little easier to understand the material.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Mate, im 18 years old and very dedicated! Im hoping to achive all these certs so by the time im 22-25 i have a nice paying job and ill be doing something i enjoy. So i can say iv done something with my life! So when my kids grow up i wont be living in some shabby council state (like i am now lol). Iv just got high ambitions and im hoping to achive these certs by the next 2 years so ill have a ground breaking entry into the IT industry! So any help is appereciated. Thanks

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications don't get you a good job... working in IT and building experience will get you a good job. I agree that A+ is where you need to start... but if you think that those certifications are your ticket to a breakthrough in your IT career, you've got a painful awakening coming.

Now, I'm not saying that you can't build yourself a good career by the age of 25 - certainly you can. But certifications, while useful, are not the magic key to getting a high-paying IT job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

I know where your coming from, i used to work as a trainee computer engineer for about a year, im getting the job back as of next month :) So im hoping i can use the certs + the experiance which iv gained during the last year + the experiance i well gain over the next 6 months to find another job which will allow me to develop!

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I have a little piece of advice, don't listen to everybody otherwise you will get nothing done. 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009