CompTIA Network+

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi,
    I have been working towards the 70-680 recently and seem to be falling over in certain areas.
    One area I REALLY need to improve is networking.

I have come across this: https://www.groupon.com/deals/learnsmart-875-boise and just wondered what everyone's thoughts were? Not bad for $60??

Thanks guys

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Why pay for it when you can have the same kind of training for free?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnnXcPUJbwikr2xAcmKljbnQ

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Jaron78

4. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Professor Messer is the man!

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  5. Jaron78

Can the Network+ be passed just using Messer??

6. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

I guess it technically can, but I would still advise you to get a book. I did the MTA in Networking Fundamentals before doing the Network+ exam and that helped me a lot.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I can't see why not, as Mike said you could buy the book but as long as the Prof is covering all the requirements then I can't see why that won't work, after all that's why companies like Pluralsight and CBTNuggets exist, they aren't supplimentary to any books, they are there in place of the books.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Although I don't doubt you can pass the Network+ with just the videos, I would personally be wary and always use two different study resources. Its more for myself I guess, to be sure every angle has been covered. Plus for the price of the book it seems logical to go through it, the exam is very expensive if my memory serves me right!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Jaron78

Cool, thanks guys.
    The Exam is about £200 do I am trying to wrangle it on expenses when I pass.

Also going to try and get study material paid for so going for the Mike Meyers book, Messer and maybe a bit of CBT Nuggets.

Will let you know what work come back with.

10. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

If it's any help I passed N10-005 last month and I used the Mike Meyers book, CBT nuggets and transcender practice tests and I think my score was around 95%. Although I still felt lost on some of the questions and got lucky in a couple of the simulations. But yeah, I felt very well prepared going into the exam using those 3. I also got a package of an exam voucher plus transcender tests for £200. Not sure if I can state where that was from so message me if you'd like to know. Good luck with the exam.

ps. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the Mike Meyers book was great for detail and historical stuff but I really struggled to understand the OSI model and routing and switching the way he explained it. CBT nuggets really cleared everything up for me. It may have just been me though. It's still a great book that should really aid your understanding of networking.

11. Jaron78

12. Jaron78

Okie Dokie,
    Study Materials to be used:
    Professor Messer,
    CBT Nuggets,
    Mike Myers (Half Price from Amazon and Work also may well refund Study Materials AND Exam).
    End of July, Start of August, I will make a start!!

13. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Not long passed Network+. Mainly used the all in one guide and the professor messor videos. Both are very good and could be all you need. I didn't want to leave it to chance so but an exam sim as it helped greatly passing the A+ a few years back and I hadn't sat an exam for years too.

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  14. Jaron78

Thanks Guys,

Much appreciated all comments.
    Ok, so I have bought the Meyers book from Amazon:

So will be starting with Meyers, then moving onto Messer, finally, CBT Nuggets for all the bits that I may have missed.
    Will probably get a Transcender test as well just to make sure I am hitting the right marks :)

Will keep you updated.

Thanks