Comptia HTI+ and Job

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by twizzle, Aug 7, 2006.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I finished my short contract doin PC audit work for the NHS a few weeks ago. Was ok if a bit boring (taking serial numbers and installing AV updates).
    Now i have just landed a job for another company, full time permanent, after 2 interviews that went well (least i thought so and i have got the job so couldnt have been all bad). The new company makes Subtitling machines for TV, film, teletext etc etc. They use systems that can be put into a 19" racking system using components such as screen grabbers, audio cards and GPUs. Some of the work is electronic repair in thier servicing dept, some is setup and config work (system runs on win xp), and some is on site installation at studios and other sites.

Now when in one of the interviews i was asked if i was interetsted in home entertainment systems and things like media pcs. Replying that i had looked into this area a lilttle bit but hadnt taken it any further seemed to satisfy them. Before that i had honestly looked into this scene as a possible certification route. Ms keep banging on about media center Pcs and watching TV, dvds listening to ya CD collection, all controled from a PC. However the only course i found was Comptias HTI+. This seems to encompass Audio and visual Technologies, Electrical wiring regs and even HAVC systems.
    Wanting to show the company im going to work for that i am keen to further myself would anyone know if this course is worth persuing?? Would it be of any use do ya think?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I don't know much about home entertainment, but have looked in to most of the Comptia courses. My opinion is that they are all worth doing. Best of luck in the new job. 8)

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm not so sure that this one is such a good thing as the other CompTIA exams.

Looking at the details seems to suggest that is is very USA-centric, and there are a *lot* of differences between USA and UK practice.

In particular the section on mains power makes no mention of UK stuff, like Part P etc.

I'd tend to want to see much more background on this cert before I'd suggest it was useful here.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+