CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications are now valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified. The change brings the CompTIA certifications in line with the practice of other major providers of certifications for IT professionals, such as Cisco, Microsoft and Oracle.

The renewal policy also is required for these three certifications to maintain their accreditation and compliance with internationally accepted standards for assessing personnel certification programs (ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024). CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ certifications earned the ISO 17024 accreditation from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 2008. ISO requires that individuals have a way to renew the currency of their certification on a regular basis. In CompTIA’s case, renewal will occur every three years.

The new certification renewal policy is applicable to all individuals who hold CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications, regardless of the date they were certified. Other CompTIA certifications are not affected at this time.

Read the rest of the article here, the FAQ are here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. dales
      dales
      Should blimin well think so too, the release though looks like its say 'err yes thats what we meant all along'
    2. sunn
      sunn
      Wait a sec, I'm all confused... not difficult
      Do we love Comptia now? :blink
    3. soundian
      soundian
      No, but it's alright to stop hating them.
    4. Albert
      Albert
      Forgive me for asking this if the answer is clearly obvious to you guys. Don't quite understand something related to the renewal policy clarification.

Say someone passes both A+ and N+ by 31 Decem. 2010 but takes Security+ after this date. I think it superseeds the other 2 certs at a higher level according to CompTIA. What happens when this cert expires, would the A+ and N+ be the automatic fallback certs or would the Security+ expiration take the A+ and N+ along with it?

Thanks
    5. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      Albert I would forward all such questions to CompTIA. They want to go into consultation on how to handle things in future. Hopefully with better communication these sorts of things can be avoided in future. :)
    6. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      I'm taking a guess here but if you pass the A+ and N+ before december 2010 then they are valid for life but if you do the security + after december then in compTIAs eyes you will only have one certification on their new track and 2 on the old track.

so the one on the new track will need recertifying every 3 years.

But thats just a guess, you better email them.