compTIA A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by salvatore23blue, Jan 19, 2008.

1. salvatore23blue

salvatore23blue New Member

hi guys looking at doing the A+ to get me going but am i better doing self study or part time course at local college. Any info on the A+ would be most greatful. thanks

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have replied on your intro post about the A+.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You should have access to most of the A+ material you'll need already via the Internet but here's some help.

CertForums maintains an A+ Books and Resources thread to help people out here in this forum:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread3707.html

CompTIA is the best resource for official A+ information. You can visit their A+ site and learn what you need to be studying:

http://certification.comptia.org/a/

Probably the single best book to use to study for the A+ is the A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide, by Michael Meyers. Here's the link to this book on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Certificati...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200755232&sr=1-1

That should be more than enough to get you started. Good luck and let us know how you get on. :wink:

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

You will also find PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles very useful. The ISBN is:

ISBN-13: 978-0-470-08458-8
    ISBN-10: 0-470-08458-8

It takes you through practicals you will encounter in the real world.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, since you mentioned the book (and modesty prevents me from doing so myself...most of the time), here's the link to the PC Street Smarts book. It is based on the actual trouble tickets I received while working as a PC and Desktop Support Tech for an IT department so I promise all of the exercises in the book are absolutely true-to-life. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PC-Technici...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200791195&sr=1-1

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If i had written that book James, i would be blabbing about it non stop 8)

It is a great book to be used in conjunction with the Mike Meyers tome.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

I have to agree too, be proud of your work!

On a sidenote, and since I am doing my first A+ exam soon, are those books fully updated according to the new 2008 A+ exam objectives ?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - what new 2008 objectives? The current set are the 2006 objectives, and I can't find anything on the CompTIA site later than that!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It's not that I'm not proud of my work, I just don't want to come across like an egotistical buffoon who think's he's "a bag of chips and all that".

Both books are updated for the most recent incarnation of the exams as of the date of their publication. I wasn't aware that the A+ exam was updated again so soon.

10. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

It hasn't been Trip.

The objectives are still the 2006 ones as Harry mentioned, but the exam tells you it's the A+ 2007. I can only assume that, as with the Net+ exam, a number of new questions have been added.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, if we did, we would turn into what we dislike: someone who spamvertises on the forums. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!