Comptia A+ worth it?

Discussion in 'A+' started by yannick1985, Mar 5, 2007.

1. yannick1985

yannick1985 New Member

Hi guys,

Im currently thinking of doing a Comptia A+ with a company called Advent computer training. The course also involves doing an MCSE. I will be doing this course from home after work.

I would like some opinions on whether its worth doing and will it get me into the IT world?

I currently work for Moving Picture Company who are the leaders of post production in europe. I am mearly a runner at the moment but i have come to the conclusion that computers are more my thing.

Your advice would be much appreciated

Cheers Yannick

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A+ is definately the entry level cert for IT, all I can say is go for it :)

I can't say much about Advent as I've have no experience with them, and to tell the truth I wouldn't even think about the MCSE/MCSA until you get some experience in IT.

For now, if I were you do the A+, Network+, an MCP and a MCDST :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Hello Yannick and welcome to the forums.

My advice would be to take the A+ as a seperate entity from a full on MCSE course and study for you A+ using self study, which would be infinately cheaper than an MCSE course. How much you need to study for an A+ depends on your own personal experience in the various fields that reside under the umbrella of IT. This would also give you a feel for this type of environment and an educated indication of whether you would want to proceed further through the various certifications and qualifications that are available to you.

As for 'worth'? Well in my opinion the A+ would be an invaluable asset and indeed a necessary one for someone in your position.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  4. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  5. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

My friend is with advent, I think the course costs around £4,500. Anyway he started in September and still hasn't done his A+, and I think they give you 2 years to finish all 11 exams. This includes the A+, MCDST and the full MCSE. My advice would be to do as most of the guys here say and self study. It is much cheaper and you can go at your own pace.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  6. yannick1985

yannick1985 New Member

Thanks very much for your input.

My experience with IT hasnt been on a professional basis but i enjoy building computers its my passion. I have built my own PC's and have done for friends and family.

Are you saying Malnomates i can study for a comptia A+ without having to go with someone like Advent?

What about doing the A+ and N+?

Thanks again for your input

7. Malnomates

call me Mal, Nomates is unfortunate..:biggrin

You can study your A+ through self study and get as good (and I'd argue better in most cases) a result as going through a training program costing ££££'s. You would need to invest in a few good study guides and a half decent exam prep package, study at YOUR pace not someone elses and change your certification path as you see fit, makes sense doesn't it? I passed both my A+ and N+ (and convincingly I'll add) through self study, in fact I passed my N+ only this morning...8)

At the end of the day it gets dark! and then you should weigh up the pro's and con's of both study methods and stick with the one that you are most comfortable with. By the sounds of things you already have enough of an interest in computers to justify a self study route, but again don't rush into anything until you're sure that you are able to see the commitment through.

8. yannick1985

yannick1985 New Member

Ok Mal :biggrin

Would you mind telliong me how and what material you used please.

It will be of great help and much appreciation!

Thank you

9. Malnomates

I used the 'All In One' 5th edition by Mike meyers for my A+ (2003) objectives, along with Transcenders A+ exam prep suite.

You will be looking at the 6th edition of the 'All In One' now, since the A+ exam has just been updated, research here...http://certification.comptia.org/a/

You can purchase this book at Amazon here http://www.amazon.com/Certification-All-One-Guide-Sixth/dp/sitb-next/0072263113

For my Network+ I used 'Network+ All In One' again by Mike meyers and the Sybex Network+ 4th edition by David Groth, along with Transcender and VNP publishing exam suites.

Sybex http://www.amazon.com/Network+-Stud...0120656?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173107926&sr=1-2

Meyers http://www.amazon.com/Network+-Stud...0120656?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173107926&sr=1-2

The current objectives are A+ 2006 and network+ 2005

Have a look at my 'blog' in the N+ forum to give you some idea of the requirements for the N+ exam.

10. yannick1985

yannick1985 New Member

I want to thank you Mal for all your valuable info, you have saved me from making an un-necessary decision.

Cheers mate

11. Malnomates

My pleasure..:D

If you need to ask any questions regarding your certs you know where to find us..

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Mal is 100% spot on...ur better off doing self studying...buy the books needed, read them, take the exams, pass and all is well...thats what I did and no doubt a few others have done too...its the way forward for certs...why spend ££££££s, when u can save all that and study in ur own time and prepare for the exam the way you want? :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki Bit Poster

Ok I've finially made up my mind on what to do after reading the forums and being given advice and decided not to throw away 6K in one basket without knowing what im getting myself into.

and so the story goes on.. I am going to study for the exam because it doesn't seem so difficult and Advent probably just give you what you can find out for yourself anyway

Goodluck for those of you who joined them and thanks for all your efforts and to admin, I look forward to studying and reading books and checking the forums to learn lol

Certifications: none
    WIP: mcp
  14. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Good luck with your studies :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Listen friend whatever you decide to study make sure you choose the self study route. This way you can learn at your own pace and if your stuff visit the site for help etc.

Lastly, make sure you get as much hands on as possible i.e. get several PC's break and fix them, set up a workgroup network type environment. It's not just getting the paper cert that should be the main drive in other words. Welcome the the challenging and often frustrating world of IT. :D Cheerio

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. dcbartist1087

dcbartist1087 New Member

I am starting to review and study for my exam. If I want to lets say work at the genius bar at Apple and helping people with their OS/Computer or do PC Support and Administration, is this going down the right path?

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yup. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!