CompTIA A+ Wait for new exams?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Matt09, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Matt09

Matt09 New Member

Hello,

I have been wanting to complete the A+ course to help me get my first 1st Line Support job.

Only just recently bought a 6th edition study guide and wondered if it is worth waiting until the new exams?

Realistically with Christmas coming up I probably wont pass the current exam before Feb 2010.

Thanks.

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. JamesCG

JamesCG Bit Poster

If you don't think you can pass by the cutoff then you'll want to start studying the 7 series for sure.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's a chance that the old exams won't retire in the UK until August '10. If that happens, then you're still good to go with the old materials.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Quite a lot of the material will be the same so you can get a head start using the 6th edition since you have it handy.
    For example, I doubt the chapters on video, audio and removable media have changed much.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I considered this in the past and am now taking the new Comptia A+ 2009 as I am no where near finished studyinig for my Comptia A+ 2006 at the moment.

I'm only taking the new one as I don't have to pay for the new study materials that I need for the 2009 version as I'm with a training provider.

IMHO by the time you get yourself firmly placed in a job with lots of experience behind you, by that time Windows 7 would have become the new "most widely used operating system" Comptia A+ 2009 covers that so I'm interested myself to be "Up to date with" all the new techs coming out these days :p

I personally think it would be worth waiting.... well hold on as far as I'm aware the study materials and exams are available now are they not? :blink

Anyway good luck with whichever version exam you take! :D

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The 700 series doesn't cover Windows 7. Vista, but not W7. In fact, the exams were released before W7 was.
    Personally I don't think it matters to employers which A+ version you have so you should base your decisions on what study material you have available and what timescale you're working to.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

most employers dont even realize the exams change evry so often so they don't care about that all they care about is that you have passed it.

The retirement for the 600 series is August according to compTIA for the UK and Feb for the US and canada.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Alex399 slaps himself :oops:

Yes W7 was realeased after the exams were released weren't they... :stpd

None the less the new 2009 exams should cover quite a few new techs not included in the 2006 version, shouldn't they?. I would be interested in being as up to date with the new techs as I can be... regardless of if the employer cares or not, think of it as me being interested in the newest techs and wanting to study them if you will :)
    At the moment with the 2009 exams being released so recentley I gathered that employers don't care much if its 2006 or the 2009 version, But! I don't pay anything extra at all to upgrade to the 2009 exam as I'm with a TP, they provide all study materials so I figured I might as well go for the newer exam... :)

For someone who has to buy new study materials who already has the 2006 study materials it doesn't seem worth it to me.

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you don't have to upgrade it's only an option if you want to.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

By the time you get yourself "firmly placed in a job with lots of experience behind you", the A+ won't matter so much to your career. At the time the A+ will matter to your career, Windows XP will still be the dominant OS.

In any case, GBL is right: I've yet to see an employer care about which version of the A+ you've taken.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!