CompTia A+ Training

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ans129, Sep 4, 2009.

1. ans129

ans129 New Member

Hello to you all. I have spent a good part of the last 20 years working in TV land until my previous employers went to the wall last year. I've spent the last 15 months on the dole and I am now trying to constuct a new career in the world of IT. It seems like the CompTia A+ cert. is the place to start but there are any number of companies offering training courses at prices that would mean selling the children. Is the CompTia cert. the way to go and can anyone suggest a reliable and respected method at a reasonable price as a starting point? Many thanks in advance.

Certifications: None
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum.

This question has been asked many times and the general recommendation would be to just buy the books and self study. You'll be able to work at your own pace and it will cost you considerably less.

Visit the CompTIA sub-forum on this site for more information.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Hi and welcome! :D

-Obie

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, the A+ is a great starting place, and no, you don't have to attend a structured training course. All you need is a couple of books (and perhaps a legit practice exam to see if you're ready) and you'll have all you need to pass. I recommend Meyers' A+ All-in-One and Pyles' PC Technician Street Smarts.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. d_mcgrail

d_mcgrail Nibble Poster

Have a look through the A+ forum topics and you will find a lot of training material for free such as professor messer online. That is certainly worth a google ;-)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Taking a xmas break