Comptia A+, N+

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by broomo74, Nov 17, 2005.

1. broomo74

broomo74 Bit Poster

Hello peoples, I've read thru' threads on here for an hour or so and kind of made my mind up but maybe some of you couldhelp a bit more.

I've had a Skilltrain person round trying to sell me his package.
    I told him that I'm a novice who want's to go down the MCSA route. He did say do the Comptia A+, N+ first at my own pace then onto the MSCA.

From reading the threads this sounds like good advice. But the dilemma I now have is whether to pay the £3000.00 for the whole Skilltrain package Or do it in 2 sections without making a £3000 commitment.

I'm thinking of doing the Comptia A+, N+. I work full time and ideally would still like to whilst studying. So I'm looking to do it in about a year. Can people please advise me on wher eis the best place to get started i.e. buy the course from a training provider or go it alone doing self study. Also what equipment, books, Cd's etc. I need. I take it the Meyers is highly recommended.

all help much appreciated.

2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

yep meyers books are highly recommended for a+ here but i think his n+ leave a bit to be desired, though not from personal experience.

it all depends on how best you learn mate, and what you would feel comfortable doing.

the salesman at least told you some truth in that you probably would be better doing the a+ and n+ courses first as these "get your feet wet" so to speak.

so if you feel that you need the discipline of a classroom then go for it, but take it a bit at a time, no need to hand over loads of dosh only to find out you don't want an MCSA at all.

hth mate, good luck!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

if you're happy to do it yourself, get the books, and get a few bits of kit from ebay and off ye go...

skillstrain etc charge a lot for very little. Classroom or self study is the way to go IMO and 3k for self study is quite a lot. you'd get classroom training for less, and self study for a hell of a lot less.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Both of these are do-able to even the relative novice with the right level of commitment (others will clarify further). I would counsel to do those off your own back, using internet-based support, and supplementary reading materials (see around here for loads more info)

Once you have them under your belt (and a wad in your tail, saved !) then you can consider a training provider for the MCSA/E, whatever you choose to do next. Also, your eyes will be significantly opened by that stage.

Trust me on one thing - you will get the truth on here.

and beer.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Beer??? where?

:slidedrin :clap :rocks

:offtopic
    .... ummm like the lads have said self-study is possible especially for a+ and n+. the mcse/a will require a little more effort and alot more hands on... btw im on the mcse self-study route now so feel free to ask anything!
    Good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Fido

Fido New Member

Hi Broomo74,
    I had almost the same converstion with a SkillStrain rep a few days ago - do a A+, N+ and then the MCSE.
    Good, logical advise as the A+, N+ gives a firm solid basis of understanding as quickly as possible before diving into the complexaties of the MCSE.
    But interestingly I was quoted £3500 to live with the promise of the £60k job the MCSE would bring (Yes I know :huh )..... Perhaps their costs are linked to how you do in their 10 minute ability test!
    I shall never know as after trying out some A+ test questions I have decided to go it alone for now at least

WIP: MCSE
  7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I get the impression these guys try it on for as much as they think they can get from you. Chancers

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  8. iank

iank Bit Poster

Hi all, its good advice to try the myers book first before parting with any cash.
    its concise and will get you through the exam.

Ive said this before but I am sure that skillstrain is really shiedigger and it worries me that they have 2 names

good luck in whatever decision you come to

9. pmg1969

pmg1969 New Member

Hi all, yes i'm a newbie.

I have been doing a+n+ with skills train since end of october this year, and am just on assignment 08A.

when i was visited by their rep, I was quoted £2000 for the both.

So isnt it weired how so many post state other prices!

this starts to make the mind boggle a bit,

and start to wonder, am i doing the right thing, all different prices, does this mean different courses even though we all doing the same A+ N+

Im begining to worry if my money has gone to a dead end, and im not going to get anything at the end of the course.

anyone feel the same way.

Certifications: CITY & GUILDS LVL 2 AND 3 UIT, USIT
    WIP: COMPTIA A+N+
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The courses themselves should definitely not be different; they will have to cover the Comptia 2003 objectives, at the very least. I'm paying £3500 for A+, N+, CCNA and CCNP; as I need a kick up the ass every so often to keep my studying going, and couldn't afford a lab without financial aid, I found this (interest free sum) to be convenient. But as they say, different courses for different horses.

If you're happy with the course this far, don't let a few negative posts sway your opinion; otherwise your morale will lag, you'll neglect your course, and you'll still have to pay for it. Home studying always takes a bit of effort; invariably, you'll find people that expected a Cert to land in their lap after they'd parted with their hard-earned cash, that loudly negate that fact in any forum they can find. To get any solid answer to doubting questions you may have, email your tutor - that bit of support is one of the things you paid extra for, after all.

Prices, I would say, depends on the Rep and how desparate they are. These guys are commissioned to get you on to the courses, and they are paid commission to do this. I'm guessing they have targets. If one guy is cruising for the month, and has hit his targets, his prices are going to stay static. If another is struggling, needs to get some students, he may start coming down a little just to get you on board with the course - if you don't struggle on the price however, you're not going to get a reduction. Just MHO.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA