CompTIA A+ help and confused!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dizzyhead, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Dizzyhead

Dizzyhead New Member

Hi, i feel like banging my head against a wall. I'm looking to change careers and move into IT and i am looking to get some qualifications to aid with on the job experience. I've been looking at numerous training providers - been quoted obscene amounts of money and promised the earth. I have spent time trawling the forums here to try and make a decision. I currently have 2 thoughts - Self Study using the recommended books on here for the A+ qualification or a company called CompTIA-certification.co.uk who have offered the A+ and network+ courses for £500. I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience of them ? or any other advice would be very much appreciated.
    Many Thanks:rolleyes:

2. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Save yourself the money and do your self study here with support from these guy's for free.

Bet that price excluedes exam fees as well!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I was going to train with them but after being persuaded by people on here to self study ie get some books and research the stuff yourself I have found that to be the way.

BTW CompTIA-certification.co.uk are not actually the company you end up paying I cant remember what they are called now.

I did download their demo software for the A+ and found it very good but as I have said I have found it better to self study I feel I have learned more than I would have by going thorugh a training co

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Dizzyhead,

Save yourself a little money. What I would suggest is to take a trip down to the nearest book store and browse through the available references. There should be plenty. Find one that reads well for you. Most larger stores will let you browse through them at will and won't try to rush you.

Once you find one that reads well for you, you can either buy it on site or check online to see if there are any bargains available. Make sure that you have at least one good reference and a smaller study guide wouldn't hurt either.

Then start searching the web. There are so many free resources that you should have no problem finding material. And use the resources available here. You'll find that the forum boards can be the most valuable resource available. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We're all here to learn.

Good luck with your studies. You can do this.
    Bill