CompTIA A+ Essentials 10 wweeks??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Parksy81, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Parksy81

Parksy81 Bit Poster

Hiya everyone, after some advice if I can, rigth here goes!!

Completed a GNVQ I.T course about 8 years ago. Haven't been working directly within I.T, althought the work I was doing was PC based. Am a very keen I.T person, buid my own comps, setup home networks etc. Am now looking to start a career in I.T.
    Looked at the ccna courses, could have enroled to do a module every 10 weeks, but after reading a thread on here earlier, decided against it.

Am now thinkin of enrolling on the CompTIA A+ Essentials, but need to enrol within 2 days, only £245, with tutor at a college, one nite a week.

My question - Is this gonna help me to get in the door somewhere doing some form or I.T admin/helpdesk?

Currently the only thing on my CV is the GNVQ course nad my strong interest in PC's/I.T...

Thanks alot for your time!!

Certifications: A+
  2. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

A+ is definitely the way to go for entry level jobs in I.T. Afterwords you may want to consider network+, so you have a few attractive parts of your CV.

Good Luck

Certifications: n/a
    WIP: a+, network+, CCNA
  3. Parksy81

Parksy81 Bit Poster

Yeah sounds liek a good idea, i suppose 'more strings to the bow' the better!

Any recommendations, Ive been doing some reading and thinkin about getting windows 2000 on my machine as dual boot, as Im assuming some questions revert back to this OS?

Starting on monday so Im gonna put the work in to get this finished!!

Cheers

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Having A+ will definitely help you stand out a bit against those who don't have it. But don't imagine it will magically produce a job 'just like that'! :biggrin

10 sessions might not be enough to cover all the material. I'd suggest you get a good book, like the Mike Meyers AIO, to supplement the tuition. This will allow you to ask more focussed questions of the tutor.

Also check whether the exam is included in the price - my guess is that it won't be.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Parksy81

Parksy81 Bit Poster

Yes the exam is included in the price, having read some other posts on here I dont think its too bad really.....Am defo gonna look for some reading material, more than likely the Mike Myers one....

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Whether it takes more or less time than 10 weeks is entirely up to you. Some people can pass without studying. Some people take more than a year.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Ruthi-B

Ruthi-B New Member

Parksy - where did you find the one night a week course for Comptia A+? I'm very interested in this course and a evening course would be great if I can find one local to me that is..

Certifications: None IT related
    WIP: CompTIA A+ - Self Study