CompTIA A+ Complete Certification books?

Discussion in 'A+' started by GiddyG, Sep 10, 2007.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I have been self-studying using the Mike Meyers 6th Edition. I am currently up to Chapter 18, but feel I also need extra or more varied reading under my belt.

Has anyone read the CompTIA A+ Complete Certification and is it worth the money? The ISBN is 9780470145609.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :D

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I havent read that book, however aside from Mike's AIO book I used the ExamCram series book. It helped alot.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am also doing the Mike Meyers book, another good book to get is written by a guy on here called Tripwire45 the book is call PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles it is a very good book, its more like a book with lots of lab tests n stuff in it so you can practice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No worries. It's a bundled "kit" of several A+ related books published by Sybex:

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-%...5977455?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189456829&sr=1-1

I have to admit, I haven't read any of them but I did write one of the books in the kit:

http://www.amazon.com/PC-Technician...5977455?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189456948&sr=1-2

The kit has only been reviewed once at Amazon (US) but it was an absolutely stellar review.

Here's the link to the same product at amazon.co.uk but it hasn't been reviewed there yet:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-sup...2153253?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189457059&sr=1-1

EDIT: Oops...seems a couple of the other lads beat me to the punch. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. greenbrucelee

I will write a review of your book in Amazon once I have gone through it all, but all I can say is its very good and writtent in a clear concise way and doesnt screw your head even when your knackered and trying to study

6. GiddyG

Thanks for the quick responses guys... very much appreciated.

Tripwire, I just had a look at the excerpt of the PC Technician book on your site. It looks to be completely different from the Meyers tome and more in-depth on a practical level - just what I need. I think I will get the set, see how I get on with them, and see if I can sneak a copy of the Exam Cram book through the letterbox nearer the time. :)

7. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

excellant!:ohmy, i didnt realise, we had a bonafidy (excuse my spelling) auther in our midst. Obviously your probably biast, but ive had your street smarts book for a couple of months now but i havnt cracked it open yet because ive (supposedly) trying to finish off mikes 6th, to be honest though, ive got my self into a bit of a rut and i havnt actually read anything for around two months. Ive finally managed to get around the things that have put me in this rut (finding a job), and im about to knuckle down again, but after reading this, im actually thinking of making a fresh start with your book. If you or any of you guys would like to give your opinion it would be greatly received.:tune

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  8. greenbrucelee

The way I am doing it it I have read Mikes book, gone through Trips book then I am highliting points in Mikes books then gonna go through Trips book again

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually there are several... I know of three published book authors who post regularly on the certification forums, and several others who have written for magazine articles and for practice exam vendors.

Trip's book is great. I'd wholeheartedly recommend working through the labs in his book. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, yes of course I'm biased. It's tough not to be. What keeps my head on straight is that there have been several reviews of the book by people I don't know and they all speak positively about the book.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. GiddyG

Heh... was in Lincoln city centre this afternoon.

Nipped into Waterstones and took a quick peek at the Computer book section. Geez! It had hardly anything in it. Then just happened to look in the Study Aids section and found the Mike Meyers Passport book for A+ certification. OK, it cost £17.99 but it's a heck of a lot easier than carrying the AIO book on the train... and it is for the 601 - 604 exams.

Once I have completed the AIO book, I will move onto it.

Still waiting for the Complete Certification books from PLAY.COM. They are currently out of stock... bum! :(

12. BosonMichael

Once you have completed the AIO book, you won't have need of the Passport book...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. GiddyG

You reckon going through the AIO should set me up for the exams? I answer most of the q's in the book correctly, but there are a few - such as what is WSXGA resolution? - that I get wrong. Basically, if I need to know something like that, I normally look in the booklet that came with the monitor or 'google' it.

I took a couple of tests last night... 10 questions for the 601 and 10 for the 602. Got 100% on 601, and 70% on 602.

I reckon it's time to up the ante, so to speak, and put the pressure on myself. Reckon I will put in for the exams, giving myself a month maximum to get ready for them...

I am currently in Chapter 20 - Printers - in the AIO, so the month will include completing the book and doing a runthrough of those areas I feel I am weak in.

Cheers

John

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Waterstone's computer section gets smaller and smaller as the weeks go by.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. GiddyG

Ottakars used to be great, until Waterstones took over. PC World was quite good, but that's gone down the tubes now too.

Looks like the Net is the only way to buy computer books in the future, which is a major disappointment. I don't mind buying books online; however, sometimes I like to 'try before I buy'.

16. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree that most of the book chains have thinned out their computer books. I suspect that Amazon is the major culprit here.

However - if you can get to London easily then Foyles has a *huge* selection. Foyles have really turned around from being one of the most awful shops to deal with into one of the best stocks I have seen, with knowledgeable staff.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  17. GiddyG

Ah... it's on Oxford Street isn't it? Not too far from the places I go to. Thanks for that. I will give it a whirl...

18. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No - north end of Charing Cross Road - west side.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  19. BosonMichael

Must be a UK thing... the bookstores in the US are full-to-busting with titles.

That said... the Net IS the best way to buy computer books. If you like to 'try before you buy'... there's this cool little feature where you can preview the book... sometimes even read the whole first chapter!

20. GiddyG

Well, I ordered Trip's book off Play.com and it dropped through the letterbox this morning.

Must admit, I am gutted though... I thought Trip would have personally signed it. Then I could have sold it on eBay, once finished with, for a hefty markup... :biggrin

Just waiting for BM to write his first 'masterpiece' now... :p