CompTIA A+ Certification

Discussion in 'A+' started by BB88, Jan 5, 2009.

1. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

First of all, what a relief to find such a website! This has really helped me, and narrowed down my decisions on wether to self-study or train with a training provider.

After receiving my consultation today with a member of Advent Computer Training, I was in debate on what to do. Being a smart lad, I summed up all the prospects which had been suggested to me, by said advisor, and what I was actually paying my money for. I done some research afterwards, and realised that self-study would be the best terrain for me to head down personally. I realised, that I am already wanting a career in IT, and I am already motivated enough in wanting to pursue and gain the qualifactions on my own, without the aid of costly tutors, and in-classroom days.

I have just purchased two valuable books which have been suggested on this website for obtaining the CompTIA A+ Certification.

A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide
    PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills

These really do look like a promising start on obtaining a first-line support role job in the industry. I really just want to get my foot into the door, and hopefully these will help me along the way.

I am just curious as to what other people have experienced with these books, and what they did next, after completing said certification.

Thanks in advanced,

Ben.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Good luck with your studies

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm hurt. Play.com doesn't have any reviews on any of my books (I'm the author of the Street Smarts book).

Actually, the Meyers book is the de facto champ in the A+ cert arena. There are a number of other good "tomes" out there, including the ones published by Sybex, but I'd have to say, Meyers has the whole think sewed up.

Modesty should forbid me from commenting on my own book, but it's designed to present a series of exercises from the technician's point of view. It's kind of a "year in the life" lab book. I took most of the exercises from real world tasks I'd actually performed, so they aren't just a bunch of "canned" tasks. They tend to be rather basic for the most part, but then, you can do most of them with just one or two PCs in your own home, with not a lot of extra equipment to have to buy.

If you like it (or to be honest, even if you don't), you can write the first review for it at Play.com. We authors like that sort of thing and I hear the publishers are kind of keen on it, too.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Ben.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

I would have bought it from Amazon as it was 3 or 4 pounds cheaper for the PC Technician Street Smarts book and A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide book although there was very good used book for 14 pounds but it done.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

both brilliant books, get them or you could be sorry.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BB88

Thank you for the replies folks!

I will try and do the book justice in my review.

I brought them through PlayTrade from a company, so I got them slightly cheaper than Play.com has actually listed them, plus the delivery is free!

I have several PC's I have built along the years to test my new found; or soon to be found skills on, so there should be no problems there.

Just a quick question though, how long do you think it would take a user to have enough understanding to actually take the exam, or how long to study per day? As I am still in the mindset of the training programmes out there; would give me a rough indication of how long to spend on the books.

Thanks in advanced,

Ben.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It could take you a few days or a few months, only you can answer that question. If you knuckle down then you get it over in no time (assuming you are self studying and not doing a course) or could be restricted by a course and have to take a long time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BB88

Thank for your the reply greenbrucelee. Yes I am self-studying, so hopefully should be there in no time!