1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CompTIA A+ Certification, CompTIA Network+.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Natedun, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Natedun

Natedun New Member

Hi i am trying to be a IT guy. I went to college for half a year but life got to busy and i never seemed to find the time to finish. I am looking at a help desk job. For a internet company and they want me to have the CompTIA A+ Certification, CompTIA Network+.

My question is how do i go about getting this? Do i have to go to college or can i just read and take a test? If i can just read is there some books i can pick up. Thank you guys in advance for any helpful information.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2009
  2. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Someone will come along and guide you to all he books. I just came in to say yes you can just study a book and sit the exam and pass, in fact, it is recommended not to waste your money on a college and just sit study yourself.

Good luck!
    Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The A+ is two exams you need compTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James pyles and a computer you don't mind taking to pieces and messing with.

The N+ is one exam and you need Network + by Mike Meyers 4th edition.

You book the exams through www.pearsonvue.com and take them at your nearest test center which you will find on the pearsonvue site.
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Natedun

Natedun New Member

Thank you, I also have a chance to get a free ride to go to college for 1 year for telecommunication for the same internet company. Do you think this will be at all useful in the future for a IT guy or will it just be a back up plan?
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Many of the first IT roles will be first line support, so any job that proves you have a certain skill set (communication, technical aptitude, telephone manner) can only help.