CompTIA A+ at London College

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by toltek, Nov 22, 2010.

1. toltek

toltek New Member

Hello, everyone,

I'm completely new to the whole IT business. I'm considering retraining and so far the best looking CompTIA A+ course i found is this

http://www.london-college.com/A+_training_courses/A+_certification_courses.aspx

I'm fully aware of the general disposition that some people on the forum have against TP. Nevertheless I'm wondering if anybody had any experience with London College. The thing is: course contents are quite extensive, but they seem to take only 12 lessons to master... Is it possible ?

2. zet

zet Byte Poster

£700 is abit much for the A+ ...

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  3. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i paid about £25 for my A+ book and i understand the tests are about £115 each? so that is the way i went. i must admit that i'd like to have some lab time to practice my skills. what's this labsims thing and is it any good? most importantly do i have to pay for it lol

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I haven't used the London College at all, but I'll echo that £700 is steep for what is essentially an entry level course.

If you've decided thats the way you want to go, then good luck to you. If not, perhaps just grab the book and study it yourself, save your hard earned cash for the Network+ and beyond.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

For which there is a free on-line course starting in January at Commsupport :)

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have never been totally against TPs my dissposition if you like is the cost involved and the false promises that some give.

If you prefer being taught by a tutor then I would suggest you look around at some proper colleges and even meet with the staff that will be teaching you to give you a better idea of what you might get for the cost involved.

But I agree that £700 for the A+ is very expensive, does that cover the exam costs?

Have you tried self study at all? you may suprise yourself and you may even like the fact that it only cost about £250 including the exam costs and books.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. toltek

toltek New Member

Thanks everyone for replying.
    I've been considering some other career paths, some with courses costing around 6k, so £700 seemed refreshingly cheap) My problem with self studying is the 'hands on' experience which I could really use, but will (in my opinion of course) be missing out on.
    Having spent hours online trying to find any feedback on this ' London College' I discovered nothing but the links that lead to their own site. And the Middlesex University whose logo is featured on that colleges site doesn't have it on it's list of partners. So no badmouthing, but I'll look elsewhere.
    What would be an acceptable price for the CompTIA A+ training by the way ? And what are the materials I'd want to get if I decide to give self studying a go ?
    Thanks again