CompTIA A+ advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by christopher15, Apr 6, 2017.

1. christopher15

christopher15 New Member

What job would you recommend for somebody that has less than 1 year of personal computer repair experience and no college degree after obtaining the CompTIA A+ Certification?

I am from the US in NJ

Also after the CompTIA A+ Certification. What Certification path would you recommend for becoming a Network Administrator?

Not interested in college.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Helpdesk would be a good starting point

A+>N+>CCNA

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Let me answer a couple of questions for you.

Juelz his the nail on the head with the service desk work, you need to get your foot in the IT door and getting that experience is key to moving forwards.

I hate to tell you this but you're looking at a couple of years of doing that, moving up the ladder from a level 1 call handler to something higher.

As for moving into a network administration role, that's going to take time and education, it can involve a lot of mathematics (binary math as well as subnetting) and no one in their right mind is going to hire someone with proven experience in the IT industry to come in and manage their networking infrastructure, doing so can and will lead to massive issues if you don't understand the full scope of the type of work you're expected to do.

I would suggest that you also consider investigating some time on the ITIL certifications, certainly the foundation exam because more and more companies are starting to focus their IT on the ITIL framework. (yes even US based companies as I work for a large one whose main senior management are all US based).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Simon, funny that you should mention the ITIL certs. I was just this second having a look at the intermediate certification, and it seems that it's not actually possible to self study for these exams. You have to go to a training provider. Do you know if this was always the case, or why they've done this?

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Same I had previously looked into this as I have my foundation done, you are correct it cant be aelf-studied which is a shame.

6. christopher15

christopher15 New Member

ok so I guess I am in the wrong field of study then. I wanted to become a Net. Admin in the IT industry because I heard it doesn't require high level math skills like Calculus or Algebra 2. I'll be honest here I hated math class back in school. Also I am not trying to make like over $100,000 +. I'm 25 and I just want to be financially stable.
    So is there any IT career that I can pursue that doesn't require a lot of math?