comptia A+ 220-701/702 hints & tips post here

Discussion in 'A+' started by abaidsajjad, Feb 11, 2010.

1. abaidsajjad

abaidsajjad Bit Poster

has anybody passed 220 701/2 comptia and has anytips for me i am not good with computers but really willing to put all my effort in now i had comptia test out application from my friend which was great but it was for 2006 is there one for 2009 i look ebay can't see it any good link's type here

Certifications: not any ATM
    WIP: A+
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Tip 1:

Study.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

THere are hints and tips in the A+ section of the forum. There isn't that much difference between the 2006/7 exams and 2009 apart from the new version may or may not have questions relating to windows vista in it.

By the way if you thought test out was good you should see some of the other stuff out. Miles better.

www.proprofs.com is a good free site to learn from as is www.professermesser.com

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi

I have just purchased CompTia A+ Complete Study guide to read through, I am doing this as a home study course really looking forward to it. If you go to you can purchase the book there.

Good Luck.

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. stevfor

stevfor New Member

Study materials? The exam is not considered too complex so with enough study and a few materials you should pass. I used and older version A+ complete guide which I used initially, measure up practise tests, and for 702 the exam, I got the exam cram book which I found extremely enjoyable and to the point..well recommended

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Didn't you sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement before you took the exam? :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. stevfor

stevfor New Member

hi all,

Mr Bosom if your above comment is directed at myself, excuse my naivety or if I offended anyone my apologies. However I did not give out any answers in a "dump" kind of way - my tips included were not qs I remember from the tests. All I included was some theory stuff which I studied and helped me pass both exams.

This stuff can be read on any book out there - surely that is okay to provide someone with that info

when I said the exam was fresh in my mind I mean the stuff I studied for, and not the qs that came up in the exam

cheers

8. .co.za

.co.za Bit Poster

Ok... You just made me really nervous about studying for the A+, that's a hell of a lot to learn!

WIP: A+, N+, L+, MCDST
  9. BosonMichael

When you say you just came out of the exam, and you then say they need to know, for example, "_____ is the one that uses ______", then it is likely that you are revealing information that will directly help them on the exam. You are disclosing what you saw, indirectly or not.

Books DO give that same kind of information... but the difference between what a book does and what you did is twofold:
    1) They give ALL the information that can be on the exam, not just information on the questions they saw. I know, because I've written a IT certification study guide before.
    2) The book didn't just come out of an exam yesterday and report exactly the information that will help someone pass.

If you truly believe that you did nothing different than a book does, then why not just say, "You need to study everything in the ________ book"? Or, perhaps, say, "You need to study the things on CompTIA's objectives page"? Ah, you don't say that because the information you gave IS different in nature. It is designed to address what you saw on the exam and would be helpful for them to know. That is "dumping". You don't have to give word-for-word regurgitations of questions to have dumped... you simply have to tell people, "Hey, dudes, you REALLY need to know the socket types!" By doing that, you have disclosed what is on the exam.

Stevfor, I know you mean well, and I believe your heart is in the right place. But failure to follow the terms of the NDA can result in decertification, plus being banned for life from getting any future certifications from that vendor. Now, if you TRULY don't think CompTIA would mind what you said, then boldly proclaim it from the hilltops and take your chances. But if you don't want to take that risk, you should probably click the edit button and remove the particulars about what you saw. It's a mighty big price to pay if you're wrong.

Just trying to protect you, bro. Take the advice or disregard it; it's up to you.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. stevfor

stevfor New Member

I have taken your advise on board and taken my tips off, after all I studied really hard (legitimally!!)to pass that exam and would really feel gutted the vendor tried to use some legal technicality to have me decertified. You should appreciate that I quickly typed my answer whilst between calls in a helpdesk so as you can imagine I did not put too much thought into what I said or how I said it. It was more of an impulse spur of the moment type of thing. I can categorically swear that tips I gave were just examples I had in my head of topics I had been studying and stuff (not from exam)which stayed in my head – [NOT WHAT CAME IN THE EXAM].

I also believe you yourself mean well and are just steering me in the right direction which I really appreciate – next time someone asks for tips, if I do reply (which I probably wont), I will give as generic an answer as I can possibly give..ie get xx book and read it

peace

11. stevfor

stevfor New Member

BTW I did not come out of the exam "yesterday" as you said- the essentials one I did mid november 09 and the 702 I did mid feb.. and since the second exam I have taken a well deserved break (not only due to exam obviously) to go and visit my parents back to wherever I come from.. To expect me to remember what came out of the exam is giving my brain power way too much credit:biggrin

12. BosonMichael

No problem, man... I know your heart is in the right place and that you meant well when you posted it. :)

By all means, keep replying to people. There are plenty of ways you can give exam assistance without telling people specific things to study for. :) For instance, there's a difference between telling someone that they need to study subnetting on an exam versus telling someone that they need to specifically know that a /28 mask is equal to 255.255.255.240. Or another example, there's a difference telling someone they need to study processor and socket types versus telling someone they need to know that a Core 2 Duo fits in an LGA775 socket... see the difference? ;)

Rule of thumb I use is this: if CompTIA, Microsoft, or Cisco says on their Web sites that a test taker needs to study X, or that there are Y number of questions, or that the passing score is Z, then that's something I can freely reveal. And if it's something that they haven't said publicly, then that's something I have no business revealing. ;)

If your mind is as sharp as that of other people on this forum, you're probably more capable of remembering things than you might believe! I might still be able to tell you things to study for the A+ exam I took in 2003... ;) heehee!

Very glad you took the advice in the spirit it was meant to be taken. +Rep for you. :thumbleft