CompTIA A+ 2006 or 2009?

Discussion in 'A+' started by jameister, Jul 23, 2009.

1. jameister

jameister Bit Poster

Which exam is worth taking, the CompTIA A+ 2006 or 2009? I was thinking of taking the 2009 as it is the most up to date even though I know that the 2006 is still valid until 2010. Also what study material is available for the 2009?

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Certifications: CCSN, A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

At the moment I'd advise you to take the 2006.
    Your question about the amount of study materials available for the 2009 objectives is the main reason. Not only is there a (comparative) wealth of 2006 material out there, it's also been road-tested.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

None, because the new exam's not out yet. Mike Meyers is currently working on the AIO 7th Edition.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. jameister

jameister Bit Poster

When I went to the CompTIA website you can clearly download the 2009 objectives, I just presumed this was already in place? I don't think it says anywhere that the exam is not yet available. Saying that though it seems relevant for me to do the 2006 anyway, as mentioned above, being out for longer and study material available.

Certifications: CCSN, A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-680
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can download the objectives... but they don't even mention the new 2009 exams on their A+ page. Plus... if you tried to register for them, I don't think they're available.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!