Comptia A+ 2003 vs 2006 objectives

Discussion in 'A+' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Mar 10, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Has anyone seen and compared the 2003 objectives with the 2006 objectives?

If not click here to see a thread by Zimbo8)

q) Do you think the 2006 is a cut down version of 2003 objectives with emphasis on customer care?

q) Does the 2006 objectives cover BNC connectors and AT motherboards?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

1) No, there's a lot of new technology covered. Old stuff is removed; new stuff is added.

2) No idea. Just knowing what a BNC connector is should cover you there - what's to study, really? No idea whether AT motherboards are covered. Why wouldn't you just take a couple minutes and read up on what makes AT motherboards unique, and then you'll be covered (both for the exam and for the real world?).

Best of luck. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks BBM:thumbleft

4. BosonMichael

Glad to be of service, mate.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

The Network+ exam I took had a few questions relating the legacy technology including termination (bus topology) and use of various legacy connectors. If it appears on the N+ then I would be prepared to see it on the A+. One point to note here is that BNC was removed from the N+ 2005 objectives yet still made an appearance on my exam. Take good advice and study these technologies enough to have a basic knowledge of them and to be able to answer a few basic questions, even if they don't appear as an objective fr the 2006 exams.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Mal, I noticed in the 2003 objectives it covers RG58 and RG59 BNC connectors. The guys at work all laugh and say what a load of rubbish, it's old technology, why bother, we don't use it!

But I am sure there must be some places out there that still have 10base2 thinnet8)

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How many networks have these guys worked on? Do they know everything about IT? No they don’t.

The technology you are referring to is fairly old but I still have a couple of clients that have printers with BNC NICs that are used on a production line. Also an old UNIX server is used, again with a BNC NIC, and there is even a few NT servers as well.

The guys at your work may not use that technology but some companies do. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

UCM - Aint these guys the same ones that uses BD's?

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There is a school that our computer fair visits fairly often that is still using thinnet.

And a friend of mine tried to be "hi-tech" some years ago and burried thinnet in his walls to wire up his house. The snag is that he didn't use conduit, so he is somewhat stuck.

Finaly - my company recently bought a *very* expensive machine that only has AUI! I had to look in my 'bits-bag' to find an AUI to 10base-T adaptor!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. BosonMichael

I see them, but only rarely. Still, it's good to know what the heck it is, because at some point, a newbie tech WILL run across it and wonder, "What's that for?"

11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Yeah its definately worth knowing about the older stuff. Alot of companies work by the old saying "if it aint broke, dont fix it". When i was doing my A+ workshop in Brum, i asked the same question, and the trainer told me that he was doing a repair at a smelteing plant and they were still running windows 95 etc, so it always pays to know the old aswell as the new.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house