Compression or not?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jellyman_4eva, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Just mucking around with a tape drive I got recently to play with...

I have become very interested in backups recently for some reason!

Anyways while most people I have spoke to about their methods use the typical grandfather, father, son technique, I got a lot of mixed response as to whether or not they used compression...

Just wondered what the general consensus of this is?! Is it good or bad?!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It depends on how much data you are backing up, how quickly you need to restore it, what the tapes capacity is, etc.

As a general rule though I personally don't use it because my tapes can handle twice the amount that I backup, and I often have to do a quick restore.

8)

3. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Agree with Simon about the speed of restore, backup data etc.

The DLT tapes I used to use were 20/40gb and I found that compressing did slow down restore times. I swapped to the 40/80gb tapes without compression and restore times are a damn site quicker.

If you are ‘playing’ why not do a backup compressed and one with no compression and look at the results?

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  4. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

I run the backup system for our data center. We have, on average, 3TB of data in every 24hr period backed-up.

We write to tapes, the drives we have automatically take care of the compression.

edit:Although my current projext is looking into virtual backups (backups to an of site tape store via WAN). This is a good idea, don't have to leave the office when it is up and running!!

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security